Home network no longer works

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have 2 computers hooked up to Linksys EtherFast 10/100 5-port Auto Sensing Switch EZXS55W using Cox's Motorola SURFboard modem.

My computer is XP Pro SP3 P4 2.80GHz with 2GB of RAM.

2nd computer is XP Home SP3 Celeron D with 1GB of RAM. Compaq Presario SR1410NX.

We were able to share the printer and file a couple weeks ago and now all of a sudden we can't. I noticed my brother was grayed out in McAfee's Network Manager and EasyNetwork and I was the same way on his. Did a search about it and saw the tool McAfee offered for a network problem and ran it. That seemed to make things worse because now we do not exist to each other. Tried setting up a network through Windows but it's not working.

Ran ipconfig /all and there is a couple differences that I don't know how to fix.

1st computer (mine)
WIndows IP Configuration
host name: az2009
primary Dns Suffix:
Node Type: Unknown
IP Routing Enabled: No
WINS Proxy Enabled: Yes
DNS Suffix Search List: ph.cox.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connnection
Connection-specific DNS Suffix: ph.cox.net
Description: Intel (R) Pro/100 VE Network Connection
Physical Address: 00-11-11-DB-E7-64
Dhcp Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
IP Address: 68.230.35.115
Subnet Mask: 255.255.248.0
Default Gateway: 68.230.32.1

DHCP Server: 172.19.73.67
DNS Servers: 68.105.28.11

2nd computer (my brother's)
WIndows IP Configuration
host name: dragon2
primary Dns Suffix:
Node Type: Hybrid
IP Routing Enabled: No
WINS Proxy Enabled: No
DNS Suffix Search List: ph.cox.net

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connnection
Connection-specific DNS Suffix: ph.cox.net
Description: Realtek RTL8139/810X Family Fast Ethernet NIC
Physical Address: 00-11-D8-D4-E0-57
Dhcp Enabled: Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled: Yes
IP Address: 68.3.166.145
Subnet Mask: 255.255.254.0
Default Gateway: 68.3.166.1

DHCP Server: 172.19.73.67
DNS Servers: 68.105.28.11

Remove the McAfee and Easy Network software. Run a registry/virus cleaner, reset the Linksys router to default settings, and rerun the Linksys setup

They're in a different subnetwork. I'd recommend you to make the modem act as the dhcp, if it has the capabilities, so it can provide the IP automatically to the hosts connected to it and to protect your computers from the outside. I'm not familiar with this modem but some of them have the DHCP built in and some other don't. You may need to check your manual. Regarding the switch, I don't think this model in particular is manageable, no a lot to do with it but just a reset. I agree with Tmagic about disabling McAfee and resetting both devices (Modem+Switch) to pin point the problem. It's funny that your PC's have got two different IP's too. Try: "ipconfig /release all" in the command interface, or disable the network adapters for both computers for a couple of minutes.

I tried the ip release and renew but it just gives the same stuff back to me. I'll try the disabling McAfee thing though and resetting the cable modem and switch. My switch isn't manageable as far as I can see. Don't know much about my cable modem. We had to buy an additional IP from our cable provider because they didn't allow the sharing the same connection thing. If all else fails I'll have to call the cable company. I did the live chat help with them 3 times last night but they didn't know. It was too late to call the number they gave too. hmm lost the number too.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back