Home networking for a real dummy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have spent some time here searching for how to setup a home network, then connecting to the internet using 1 connection, my primary PC hooks to the internet via a cable modem using a usb cable, I have no problem there. This is my first attempt at setting up a network. My office allready has a ethernet cable prewired in. My primary PC has a built in ethernet adaptor built in the motherboard, my secondary PC is a older one so I installed a ethernet card. On both PC's the device manager says the ethernet adaptors are working properly. I cut off both PC's then hooked up the cable then turned the PC's back on and run the connection program following it to the letter, but no matter what I do they will not hookup together, keep getting a cable unplugged error message, I even tried a different cable with no luck. Since I never done this before I have to be overlooking something simple or dumb, any ideas out there on whats wrong. I'm not much into the techno speak on networking so I need simple questions and answers, or a simple step by step setup.
Signed, loosing my mind!

Like I said I have never hooked two computers together before so it had to be something simple or dumb, I'll have to go out and get a hub (I hooked them adaptor to adaptor), put this one in the DUH file.

is the cable used a crossover cable check wiring
should be crossover between 2 computers
do wiki search I don't have link

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back