Home Networking issue with Wireless

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Two systems, one a laptop with wireless capability, and the other a desktop. I have an active cable connection, along with a wireless router. Everything is fine with the internet connection, but in an attempt to share files and the printer between the two, I have had no luck. I ran the home networking wizard on both, both have the same designated workgroup and unique computer names, but I am unable to view the files in which I designate to share,I have confirmed that microsoft file and print share is enabled, and everything else. I can only view the system I am on when I go into network places and view the workgroup computers, I am at my wits end, can you please help me figure this out, Thanks in advance, Andy

Hey thanks guys, Both are XP HOME, one a desktop one a laptop with wireless capability. I have a Dell router and believe that I may have went wrong on the network setup wizard. Both should be set "connect through a hub or concentration point" right? I will also check the status of the firewall enabled on each connections, should I uncheck the box? Also what is the "net adapter" that is in the networking connections, should I delete every connection except for the wireless on the laptop and the LAN on the desktop? Thanks again for you time and help, Andy

To get file + printer sharing on XP, you may need to install NetBIOS to your XP comps, then activate the protocol. There's a link to a really good site that details the process in the networking forums. I personally took the files off my desktop 2000 comp.

Definitely check the links provided, and let us know if you still have any issues...but I'll bet after reading them you'll be 99% there...

Wireless Network

I had the same problem. The only success that I had was to go into explorer; map a network drive; use your internal IP address as your sever name; for example: \\80.0.0.1\any shared dir on your host computer.

Another example \\80.0.0.1\directory_name\

- Make sure it is shared on your host computer.

Do the same when you add a printer ! Make sure your printer is sharable and place a shared name in the printer properties too!

Example \\80.0.0.1\canon - This works for me

Please respond and let me know what happens.

Originally posted by ajese
I have Two systems, one a laptop with wireless capability, and the other a desktop. I have an active cable connection, along with a wireless router. Everything is fine with the internet connection, but in an attempt to share files and the printer between the two, I have had no luck. I ran the home networking wizard on both, both have the same designated workgroup and unique computer names, but I am unable to view the files in which I designate to share,I have confirmed that microsoft file and print share is enabled, and everything else. I can only view the system I am on when I go into network places and view the workgroup computers, I am at my wits end, can you please help me figure this out, Thanks in advance, Andy

I did not see you mention having the same user (name and password ) on both machines.
XP home does not network automatically you either connect to shared resources manually each time you attempt to share or you can create a batch file to perform this exercise for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back