Home Networking over 2 routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiCubs05

i need help setting my home network through two routers...it works fine when i have a direct line running to my computer, but through another router it doesnt work. any suggestions?

modem-router- downstairs computer
^
router - my computer, xbox 360, xbox1, ps2

Gah.. Why do you have two routers? Masochistic tendencies?

Please search the forums to see any of the dozens of threads about setting up two routers (and that you should have gotten a simple switch or a wireless access point instead).

Oh, and how did you manage to connect two routers to your modem?

because the modem is located downstairs...which has a 150ft cable running to the router in my room, which connects to my computer, xbox360, xbox, and PS2. it got annoying switching the cable when i wanted to play online... i've been searching and haven't gotten a clear answer. thanks anyways...

all i've found is disable the DHCP on the router in my room...i'm not sure if that will do it, but i'll give it a shot...

bump for any help? if i cant get it in the next 3 days i will just buy another cable run it and keep a direct line to my computer, and play my game stations through the router

You need to disable DHCP on one of the routers and give it a unique IP address within your current LAN set-up. This way it's just a switch in theory. Then you need to run a cable from the WAN port of this router to a LAN port on the other router.

Or you could create a NAT rule between the two devices, but I wouldn't reccomend it unless you know what you are doing and if you don't mind your internet speed slowing down a bit (hardly, but still it's an extra hop).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back