Hooking 2 computers together in the house

Status
Not open for further replies.

craigdexter1

Help a newbie out. How can I hook 2 computers in the same house together so that my kids can play head to head on some of there games? I hope theres a wireless way!

Howdie,

I have been doing networking for quite awhile now (10years or so) on Win95, Win98SE and WinXPhome. If you need some help I would need to get information about your computers, what type of network card they have and do you have a router, hub or switch.

I'll be on the forum throughout the night.

FireDoc

I only have one computer now, I will get the info for that one...

Basiclly, could you give the operation a rundown for me with the components needed for it to work and I will research the rest.

I will have the other box in about 2 months.

Thanks!

connecting two computers together is very simple. If you do not need internet on them it is even more simple.

follow this link:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/..._02april08.mspx

you will need two wireless network cards - for ease of installation and TOTAL compatibility make sure they are the same make and model.

You will create a two computer wireless system call AdHoc - where computers talk directly one to the other. This will not work if you have more than two.

If more than two, you will need a router with wireless capabilites. Something like LinkSys WRT54G. Again, for easy and TOTAL compatibility, be sure they are the same make and compable models. You can add a router later at anytime. All you would need to do is change your network structure from AdHoc to Infrastructure.

Wireless cards: $15 to $75 each
Wireless router: $80 and up

All the rest of the stuff you would need is software that is already built in to Windows. NOTE: windows XP is troublesome to connect with windows 98. But it can be done.

Hope this helps you out.

FireDoc

Thanks for the info. I've been doing a little research myself and have found alot on the net.

Currently I use the net at work but my kids are pestering me to have it at home. It will come soon!

The reason I ask your profession is that I am a firefighter medic and 'Firedoc' would fit. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back