TechSpot

Hooking up a computer subwoofer to my car stereo

By jeftrokat
Aug 5, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My car has a Kenwood KDC-MP222 cd reciever in it. I want to get some bass in my car by hooking a computer subwoofer up to it. The reciever has stereo RCA preouts (not for sub) and I plan on hooking those up to the subwoofer. The sub has a built in crossover and a built in amp powered by 12 volts, so I won't have any trouble running it off the car battery. My concern is this:

Will the preout levels vary with the selected volume on my reciever? Or will the sub always play at the same level with this configuration? I am worried that the sub may play at constant volume even when I turn down the other speakers. I don't want to take the time to set this up if its not going to work. If anyone out there knows if the preouts adjust with the speaker outputs on a reciever please let me know. Thanks.
  2. Vehementi

Vehementi TechSpot Paladin Posts: 3,199

Yes, preout voltage varies with your headunit volume.

You're saying that the HU has 2 pairs of RCA preouts? If it doesn't have a third pair (usually for a subwoofer) then it doesn't matter - since you say your subwoofer has a built in crossover, it can take any preout signal from your HU and it'll play the frequencies that it can.

Anyway - good luck! That's a great idea for someone on a budget. Since I don't have the money yet for the 15" RE XXX subwoofer that I'm looking to put into my car, I might try that with an old computer sub from my CSW FPS2000's.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.