Hopelessly unpredicable computer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amanda_rami

I wans't quite sure of the problem, and the title of this board is all I could say to really sum it up.
Ok - from the top I guess.
I never had any problems with my computer until it began overheating. This was fixed after about a month by cleaning all the accumulated dust and such that was around the fan (I had no idea where it was or of the dust so lucky that was a quickish fix.)
This stopped all the crashing that happened then.
A week later my graphics card stops working, which, after much antagonizing, was fixed by uninstalling and reinstalling the driver.
BUT then the next day I restart my computer - there is no sound. I know that it is nothing to do with my speakers, because they are relatively new and have worked very well in the past. SO I turn off my computer and come back to it later that day. I start my computer up again, this time the sound is working along with the graphics card - but no wireless network to be seen in 'My Network Connections'. Once more I restart the computer - and everything is working.
The next morning I happily restart my computer, assuming everything is the same as it was yesterday - but I'm back to the beginning. The driver for my video card isn't working.
So I go through the same process again. And again. And again. And each time it gets fixed, but each time I have to uninstall and re-install the driver for the video card and restart my computer over and over until everything is working.
I do a virus check - nothing.
Chkdisk finds and corrects a few errors in security descriptors.
Oh, and what scared me the other day - a little yellow error box popping up in the corner of the screen that said the file C:/Windows is corrupt.
I would really like to blame the video card, but I' m beginning to think ikt's a bigger problem than that... I had another board posted about my video card issues, but I couldn't find it again this time... So I decided to post here - but I'm not quite sure if this is even the right place.

Ok, some information on my system that may or may not help:
I'm using Windows XP Home Edition.

This is what dxdiag says for system information:
Machine name: CONCORDE2
Operating System: Windows XP Home Edition (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: AWARD_
System Model: AWRDACPI
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.00GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 768MB RAM
Page File: 278MB used, 1215MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode

When I run dxdiag (when my driver for my graphics card is working), in display it says under device:
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700LE
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce FX 5700LE
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0343&SUBSYS_00000000&REV_A1
Display Memory: 256.0 MB
Current Mode: 800 x 600 (16 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: IBM 6547

That's pretty much all... just ask if you need anymore... and probably tell me where to find it because I'm slightly hopeless.

Please help?

What ram does your pc have in it? If you dont know, google and get everest home edition.

From the look of things you probably have a 256meg and a 512meg.

If they are different speeds then that could possibly account for your problems.

Hello again ^^
Um, when I start up my computer it says it has 768MB of ram.
Which come to think of it..
My dad did something to increase that amount while he was fixing my cooling problem...
Could that be the different speed issue?

1. test your ram with memtest 86+ for at least 7 passes. Boot from a floppy or CD.
2. replace your PSU with a quality one.

btw, quality does not = higher wattage count.

Many people spend 40 dollars on a 600watt psu and wonder why their machine spits out green acid 3 weeks later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back