TechSpot

Hoping to be Virus Free Now

By optical_myth
Sep 15, 2008
  1. I am using my boyfriends work laptop and my son visited a site or downloaded something containing a virus. I had gotten a fake Avast program show up on my desktop stating a win32:trojan-gen{other} virus. I followed your wonderfully simple instructions to clean the computer and now just want to make sure everything is good to go!

All the steps I have taken has helped as it was even taking over my explorer, which made it difficult to fix. Luckily, I have a PC to do the research on. Thank you for the easy to follow set of instructions.

Hoping all is good and not have to have him send it to IT!

Thank-you

Going to post requested 3 logs

here is my logs.
    (edit: removed)

2. SpiritWind

SpiritWind TS Rookie Posts: 164

Adobe

Hi :

I see an outdated Adobe Acrobat 6, which includes a "Toolbar" & "Distiller", a
    security risk . Do you use the "Distiller", as described at http://desktoppub.about.com/od/pdf/g/distiller.htm !? IF yes, at a minimum you should "Update" to Version 8 ; IF no, you should seriously consider uninstalling
    the entire Acrobat program and IF it suits your needs, consider the safer
    "Foxit Reader" .

In addition, I can find no Info on :
    "O2 - BHO: (no name) - {BD7B5A50-5637-41F4-B366-409678EA660C} - (no file)"
    therefore, I recommend you have HijackThis "fix" it .

3. optical_myth

optical_myth TS Rookie Topic Starter

Thank you

thanks for the great help! Everything seems to be in working order now. I deleted the Abode and the line you suggested.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.