TechSpot

Horrible FPS in all I do

By sandtracker
Nov 9, 2005
  1. Hi folks, presently I'm having just horrible fps granted that doesn't bother me since I've yet to upgrade my Gforce 4 MX 420. But what's proving to be frustrating to no end is that a lot of games for me are just unplayable even when I have every single graphic setting turned down or just turned off. In advance yes I did make sure all my drivers on the card are up to date and all the drivers for the PC but nothing I'm doing seems to be able to up the fps.

2. Vigilante

Vigilante TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,666

What games are you playing? Bad FPS is to be expected on that vid card, especially for "todays" games. HL2, BF2, D3 and so forth.

Does that card support DirectX9? Does it support hardware Transform and Lighting?

90% of game-play quality rests in the hands of the video subsystem. I just made that percentage up, thank you very much :)

I'd say just defrag your hard drive, and try to hold off for a new vid card asap.

3. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 4,573   +65

Yes, that GFMX card will offer virtually unplayable performance in virtually any new graphics engine. Games from a few years ago should play OK though.

Keep in mind that even if you update the graphics card, your platform may also be the cause for slowness. For example, maybe you have a Pentium 4 1.4GHz system with 256MB of memory - This would make most new games run pretty badly no matter what graphics card you buy.

Video card, CPU, memory and hard drive will play the biggest roles in game performance.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.