Horrible Movie Playback With My Samsung 940Be Please Help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxracer15

Hey guys. I just bought a new Samsung 940Be LCD.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001077

So I popped in Finding Nemo to see how well the video playback was. It was pretty bad, far from decent especially when in full screen. From what I've heard the 940B has great video playback and I thought that the only differnce between the 940B and the 940Be was the stand so I assumed that the video quality would be the same on the 940Be. I've used Windows Meadia Player and PowerDVD but got the same bad results. I have the latest ATI drivers (6.5) and my system specs are below.

Any suggestions on what i can do to improve video quility? Or is it just the monitors fault?

Yes 1280x1024, the video quility starts to look better as I make the the movie smaller but it looks horrible in full screen.

Games look fine.

ATI Catalyst has a Deinterlacing option the choices are:

1.Auto Detect (thats what mine is currently set on)
2. Bob
3. Motion Adaptive
4. Vector Adaptive
5. Adaptive
6. Or none

But I've tried them all and the quality hasn't changed so I dunno.

It's probably the movie's resolution which is bad, nothing is wrong with the monitor. This explains why it gets better as u make it smaller and why it looks horrible in full screen. Try getting the DVD version of Finding Nemo and see how that works(if u don't already have it). Otherwise, try another DVD of Gladiator or some other movie to see if the problem persists.

Ok thanks I'll try that when I get home today and let you know how it goes.

Thanks a lot for all the help :)

Also do u have any suggestions on deinterlacing settings for best quality or does it all depend on the DVD?

Are these the orignal DVD movies or backup copies? if they are backups then it's the quality of the backup that is the problem not the monitor.

No it's the Orignal copy. And i think your right Rage It's the resolution of the video playing. I played LOTR and it looks a lot better than Finding Nemo but still not great.

Does anyone know of any way to change the played resolution of a DVD or a program that will allow you to do so?

Foxracer15 said:
No it's the Orignal copy. And i think your right Rage It's the resolution of the video playing. I played LOTR and it looks a lot better than Finding Nemo but still not great.

Does anyone know of any way to change the played resolution of a DVD or a program that will allow you to do so?
I don't think u can do that. It all depends on the resolution of the file from which the DVD was made. And after the DVD is made, it is read-only, so u can't modify what is actually present on it. Thus the output of the DVD cannot be modified greatly. Have u tried playing the DVD in a DVD player? How does it look on a TV screen? Chances are it will still look the same, making the DVD the most probable culprit.

Ya I didn't think so i couldn't find anything regarding changing the res. either. But I did try the DVD on a TV using a DVD player and it looked fine. (Is that what you ment? Or did you want me to hook the DVD player up to my computer and play it that way? That wouldn't change anything as far as better quality would it?)

Thanks for all the help :)

Then I think, there is a problem with ur codecs. What codec package do u use, if any? Try the K-Lite Mega Codec Package(Full Version) and see what happens. U can Google for it.

940B vs. 940BE

Not sure about your issue, but I'm curious to hear if you can replicate it with some other DVD title(s).

FYI, I called Samsung USA today to inquire about differences between 940B and 940BE. An hour on the phone later and neither their pre-sales nor tech. support had identified any. There's a 940BF model with a quicker response time (4ms according to Samsung, albeit advertised by various online retailers as 2ms).
Any info appreciated.

Well I downloaded the new Codecs and still no luck...
Same image quality as before. I've tried at least 7 DVD's with no luck and same results with bad quality at full screen and perfect quality when it's set to a smaller size.

From what Iv'e heard the only difference between the 940B and the 940Be is the height ajustable stand. But now with this bad Movie quality I'm starting to think otherwise. :(

By all means, try it, and tell us what happens. And I think that monitor is great for replacing ur Samsung.(in case the problem persists)

Still no Luck

Well that was a waste of time... I tried the 6600gt it didn't work, it was the same.
Oh well I guess I'll just retun it for the LG.
I paid $350 for the 940Be including shipping. The price without shipping was $320. Right after I ordered it the price went down $60, I was pretty pissed.

Hopefully I can get a full refund on the samsung and order the LG. The Samsung came with 3 dead pixels as well...

Well thank you all for the help and your time I really appreciate it. :)

I know that DonNazgul has the LG and says It's great so I'm hopeing I'm making a good choice.

LG seems to be a good brand. I have a 21" Flatron CRT and its been running stable for the past 4 years without any hiccups.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back