host...router?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got myself a D-Link 614+ wireless router and I managed to set it up with my desktop so I can share internet with my laptop which has a wireless pcmcia card in it already.

I have this problem when I shut my desktop down it’ll close the internet connection with it so I can’t access the internet on my laptop, but before when I had my desktop off I would still be able to access the internet with no trouble

I can’t seem to figure out what’s the problem…if anyone can help it’ll be great! Thanks in advance!

you might want to take a look at the ip adres. It could be that you have a ip confilict.

Greets Crazy,

The problem is most likely that you are either sharing the connection via the desktop or the desktop is creating the internet connection.

Turn off internet connection sharing on the desktop and set up the router so that the PPPoE or whatever connection you are using is created by the router.

Yes I am using DSL connection and I've Disabled (ICS) Internet Connection Sharing in the services. I'm using Windows XP Pro. on the desktop.

but still whenever i shut the desktop down my internet would go off with it as well, as indicating on my wireless router where the light that represents the connection is gone.

Does the PC create the DSL connection or the router?

If the connection is created by the desktop, then it is obvious that you lose it when you shut down the computer.

On the desktop comp, look under "network connections" if you see your DSL connection there, remove it. In your router setup, enter the relevant username/password/protocol to make the router create and maintain DSL connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back