TechSpot

How 64-bit computing will improve the mobile experience

By Jos
Oct 27, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. If you're a developer looking to make the mobile experience more powerful for your end users, 64-bit computing is worth looking into. With powerful 64-bit architecture at their fingertips, smartphone and tablet developers will benefit from big performance gains, addressable...

Read more

2. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,393   +107

This will mean a lot of 32-bit tablets and smart phone that run Android will be phased out, but still there should be support for 32-bit an a lot apps currently for android is 32-bit. 64-bit more pipes or lanes of traffic. I am sure they're going to make it a dual bit 32/64-bit MPU. Look at the CPU 32/64-bit for tablets, net books, laptops, desktops, work-stations and servers. Even though there is 64-bit software still not enough of it. Chrome gone 64-bit but yet support 32-bit. I had thought by this time it would be 64/128-bit but noway near that yet or even 128/256-bit or beyond that one day!

In all applications would have to be develop to use those newer bit standards.

3. If this is anything like 64 bit desktop adoption it will still be another 10 years before it matters.

4. crunchy2k

crunchy2k TS Rookie

The
    I like the hype about 64 is faster than 32. But, I am not buying it this time. When I moved from a 32bit to 64bit cpu, I didn't see any speed increase. When I moved from a 32bit OS to a 64bit OS, the movies played the same and the games weren't any faster. When I moved from a mechanical harddrive to a SSD drive I saw a speed change. When I moved from DDR to DDR3 memory, I saw a speed change. When I acquired games that utilized ram memory to preload graphics, I saw a speed change. When I moved from 128bit video bandwidth to 256bit video bandwidth, I saw a speed change. And let us not forget USB 3.0 as that was a major speed change.

Intel can take their CPU hype and place it next to the dusty thunderbolt cable file.

5. TorturedChaos

TorturedChaos TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 831   +18

I don't see where the article expains how 64bit will "better protect device data" just goes on to talk about usage statistics.

IDK if its built into the Linux kernel, but Ubuntu at least has multi-architecture support and you can install the 32bit libraries right along side the 64bit on a 64bit OS. So I don't see why you couldn't do something similar on the Android OS. and I don't really care about the other mobile OS's

Last edited: Oct 28, 2014
  6. tipstir

tipstir TS Ambassador Posts: 2,393   +107

To utilize 64-bit, everything would need to be 64-bit. Software and hardware. That's why CPU that's 64-bit really 32-bit & 64-bit. When it's 64-bit it does run at 32 + 32 bits . I do see the differences with Chrome 64-bit Browser. I've been testing that using 64 bit DEV. 32-bit Chrome (chrome.exe *32) so much issues with that.

OS 64-bit
    But still can run 32-bit apps (then you slow down back to 32-bit)
    Back in the day it was 8-bit and 16-bit. Of course the 8-bit replaced the 4-bit. AS for GPU still going to be 64-bit / 128-bit / 256-bit if the bus in the system is 64-bit path and your running a 32/64-bit CPU. Slots are 64-bit.

SDR
    DDR
    DDR2
    DDR3
    DDR4
    DDR5

Sure RAM speeds have changed.

HDD IDE
    HDD SAT
    HDD SATII 64MB Cache these are very quick but not as quick as SSD.

SDD = these are memory chips sure they'll be fast for when they start to degrade then they'll be slow again.

Sure they have pushed the 64-bit on us but again for the 64-bit to really perform well, everything would have to be 64-bit. But it just not so. Tablet already fast since it uses SSD for storage well it's chip though. No HDD nor moving parts. Most of them have DDR2/DDR3.

MPU 32-bit that's a lot for those type of electronics. Single Core, Dual Core and Q-Core which are 32-bit. Fast. but battery is the issue. 64-bit they would need to figure out how the battery is going to be like. Windows 32/64-bit tablet with dual core loves your battery life!