How about this business machine for gaming?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just priced out a Dell computer, which is promoted as a business machine, but the specs look hot enough to make a fairly decent gaming machine. Any thoughts?

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo P8700 w/VT (2.53GHz, 3MB L2, 1066MHz FSB)
Genuine Windows® 7 Professional, with Media, 32-bit, English
4GB Shared Dual Channel DDR2 SDRAM at 800MHz, 2 DIMM
500GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive with Free Fall Sensor
NVIDIA® GeForce™ 9300M GS 256MB

I realize that Dell's XPS is designed for gamers, but I was surprised at the specs on this baby targeted for IE, Outlook, Word and Excel users.

I consider myself pretty knowledgeable, and I was stunned to see a business machine with these specs.

9300GS won't rock the world of gaming with its performance. It's a decent 'entry level' mobile graphics solution. You can play some games on it; with low details. However, older games like Q3 or UT etc. will do just about fine. Other then that the system specs are very attractive; except ..... the Operating System; if you want to have this notebook see whether you can switch from x86 (32bit win7) to x64 windows 7.

Reason being the x86 windows won't be able to utilize roughly beyond 3.4 GB of ram due to limitations / other devices memory space issues etc.

Reason being the x86 windows won't be able to utilize roughly beyond 3.4 GB of ram due to limitations / other devices memory space issues etc.
Not a big deal, but what could be a problem is the graphics card, and the processor isn't very good either.

Not a big deal, but what could be a problem is the graphics card, and the processor isn't very good either.

Correct, however, he stated his probable usage in the above posting; that was the basis of my suggestion + i think he is seeking economically optimal solution as well.

9300GS won't rock the world of gaming with its performance. It's a decent 'entry level' mobile graphics solution. You can play some games on it; with low details. However, older games like Q3 or UT etc. will do just about fine.

I think this in one of my above posts took care of it; and in my opinion if one wants reasonably well equipped gaming notebook with all bells and whistles, they need to spend something around 2000+/-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back