How bad is the damage to the mother board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi: I found your form surfing the web. There is a lot of information here. I have a problem hope to gain from the experience many of you have. My daughter has a Dell C600 laptop. Her power cord melted into the socket in the computer. I took it to a repair guy and he cut the socket off and tried to get the rest out with a pair of neddle nose pliers. The result was not successful. He then informed me that if he had to take the machine apart, it would cost more than the computer is worth. My questions are: could the melting of the power cord while the computer was on have hurt the computer. I would hate to pay for such a replacement of that socket to have a dead computer. The second question is: how much should one pay for such a repair? Thanks in advance for your time and advice.

Not sure how that would have happened. But I'd say you have at least a fair chance that the computer is still ok, and only the power supply is screwed. But then again if the cord melted, something seriously wrong happened and your motherboard might be fried too.

Maybe ask the shop if they will sell you a powersupply for a dell system? They might have a few laying around. That way you can just swap the power supply out yourself (easy job) and see if the computer will turn on.

There is really nothing the shop can do to fix it if the motherboard fried during the meltdown. If there is critical data on the hard drive you can take it out, and get an adapter to have it work in your desktop PC, either internally or externally through USB 2.

With genuine respect I feel the circumstances requisite of consideration center about the cause of overheating to the power connector - Failure of the 'battery pack' and/or charge-maintenance circuitry (with consequent migration of heat to the connector) seem probable... IMO it would behoove you to defer any attempt at repair pending determination of failure mode and extent of damage!

**IMO** the fee attendant to such examination, preformed by an honest technician, should be trivial...

Good luck!

With regards
Dan

/EDIT/ Seems I 'doubled' with "SNGX1275" -- Apologies for any redundancy! :(

A very simple solution to the first part of my problem

A co-worker suggested I ask around and fine someone who has a dell and see if they can charge the battery. This way, I can see if the motherboard was damaged or not. If the computer works fine, then I can go from there. If not, I can look around for another computer. rommer25

hi
u should report this to the manufacturer
the systems power supply melting is a major hazard , they might send u a new poweer supply ,
u should call them and tell them that the power supply melted , i think they might give u repalcement power supply unit . worth a try

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back