How can I change the IP address on a AT&T Cable Router for the internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Log into your Router (should be http:// some numbers (refer to your manual to confirm the default log in Router IP)

Once logged into your Router, there should be an option that says "Lan IP Setup" (or similar) under Advanced settings (usuallly)
You can change your Router IP there (but it must be in a similar range, ie instead of 192.168.0.1 you could make it 192.168.0.2 (as an example)

not possible. The ISP assigns the address, either statically or dhcp.

if you want to wait for the ISP Cache to wrap, power off the modem and then
wait xx days (which is again determined by the ISP).

you best learn to live with what works or purchase a domain name and have your
ISP support the name/ip address pair.

You can also get a free domain name (actually, up to 3 free domain names) by registering with DynDNS. Of course, free DNS doesn't give you all the options, bells, and whistles you get with a paid account but if you basically just want a static domain name (so you don't need to know your currently assigned IP) the free account works great.

jobeard is right. depending on your service provider, you'll either have 1 consistent ip address for the remainder of your internet service, or you'll will be assigned a new ip every now and then by your ISP.

Or, varies by provider, DSL.

Friends with AT&T Yahoo DSL got a new IP with every reboot. That's when i got them a free domain name at DynDNS.

LookinAround said:
You can also get a free domain name (actually, up to 3 free domain names) by registering with DynDNS.
He's not after a name per se, but want's a NEW ip address, likely for nefarious reasons. His hardware MAC is forcing a consistent IP address assignment from the ISP and thus he can be tracked.

jobeard said:
you best learn to live with what works or purchase a domain name and have your
ISP support the name/ip address pair.

Ummm, actually i was just noting the free domain names are available (in response to your mention of "purchasing" one ;)

yes, but the service just maps a constant name to the current DHCP assigned ip address. The name is not the issue, but rather any other ip address assignment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back