How can I check that the ground connection is OK?

rodion15

Sometimes I'd like to know if a place is actually grounded. I'd like to know if it's possible to check the ground is working fine, at least basically, without needing expensive hardware.

You can check ground connections using a multi-meter or a circuit tester. Neither of the tools I mentioned are very expensive and can be found at most hardware / electronics shops. When it comes to actually testing that a connection is grounded, it's very simple. Of course, make sure to take all proper safety precautions before attempting to do it yourself.

You can check ground connections using a multi-meter or a circuit tester. Neither of the tools I mentioned are very expensive and can be found at most hardware / electronics shops. When it comes to actually testing that a connection is grounded, it's very simple. Of course, make sure to take all proper safety precautions before attempting to do it yourself.

Hi, Thanks for your answer, but this test doesn't seem to be a good test, what it does is to check there's voltage between Hot-Neutral and between Hot-ground. This means that if neutral and ground are connected (as can happen in a non-grounded socket), this test would pass.

If the technique I suggested isn't sufficient enough, you could try picking up the tool @jobeard suggested in his post.

I found this: ranging £19 to much more. The basic one checks: if ground is missing, if hot and neutral are reversed, and other reversals and basic bad wiring. Doesn't measure the quality of ground.

The SOK34 also checks the quality of the grounding (earth loop tester), price: £50

http://socketandsee.co.uk/
Simple Socket Testers:
SOK22
SOK32

Advanced Socket Testers:
SOK34
SOK36

Professional Socket Tester:
PDL234

Back