TechSpot

How can I connect 2 power supplies to a single motherboard?

By dedpresident
Dec 22, 2004
  1. I want to make it so that one power supply feeds the hard drive, CD-ROM, floppy, etc, and the other one goes straight to the motherboard. I figure if I do that I'll be able to get some more juice out of my speakers without having to get an amp.

2. I was going to do this when all the computers I had were AT systems and run the other PSU of the power lead that would normally go to the Monitor. Now I just plug the computer into the stereo :wave:

3. 7up

7up TS Rookie

what??

if you think that if useing 2 power supplies is going to make your speakers louder, you obviously no nothing about sound, just get a power suplly that adds up to the size of the 2 you were going to use, +more voltage or current dose not add up to more power from your speakers,(daaa) all speakers have an output wattage, therefore can only go so loud , please read up on things before posting such a silly and nieve question, no offence....

:knock: :cool:

4. My intension was to power my CDRW + DVDrom with a separate PSU and I wouldnt need to run the second PSU unless I was using the CD devices eg use a small PSU just to power the HD, Mobo + floppy when surfing the Web= less power usage

5. Mictlantecuhtli

Mictlantecuhtli TS Evangelist Posts: 4,919   +9

6. ofm

ofm TS Rookie

Attaching a second PSU is OK but it won't be able to be attached to the motherboard. It only has one ATX connector.

You can use a secodn PSU that is independant of the motherboard to power FANS and other devices but like others have said it's not going to boost your speakers - that's just stupid.

MAKE A PSU JUMPER - PSU Independant of MOBO

* get some 18 Gauge solid core wire (Radio Shack or steal it from other scrap you might have) and cut yourself a little 2 inch piece and strips off both ends. we'll call it a jumper.

* Locate the green lead on your ATX power connector. ( The large mobo plug )

* insert one end of your jumper into the pin connector that corresponds to the green lead. Insert the other end of the jumper to any pin connector that has a black lead.

Now you can plug your PSU to an electrical source and power up any system components you wish. I will be Motherboard independant.

7. you will have to be carefull not to blow things up it may be easier than you think puke: :dead:

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.