How can I convert my old VHS to DVD's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wolfram

Hi people,

I've been trying to convert my old VHS tapes, to DVD's. My video card has the Rage theater chip (aka VIVO). I have some accessories that came with it. I was wondering if I could connect my VHS recorder to the video card, and connect the audio plug to the spdif plug on my mobo.

And use an specialized software to record my home videos.

Is this possible? Any hints on how to do it?

Thank you a lot :)

P.S. I've used the search function, and nothing came up.....

You could try it. Not sure it would work, but its worth it to see. You would think it could be possible. I'm positive it is if you have a tv tuner, although not sure about a normal graphic card (Although, I still consider myself a newbie as well).

Well it works ok with my hauppage win tv card, so as long as your graphics card has a tv tuner then you should be fine!!!!

I did find that i needed quite a bit of hard drive space as the best way to get good quality was to record as uncompressed avi then convert afterwards!!!!

rik said:
Well it works ok with my hauppage win tv card, so as long as your graphics card has a tv tuner then you should be fine!!!!

I did find that i needed quite a bit of hard drive space as the best way to get good quality was to record as uncompressed avi then convert afterwards!!!!

I recorded an hour long tv program and it took up 9 gigs! I was amazed.

Vhs-dvd

the first thing you need is a capture card that can capture analog video from your vcr player.on your computer the video files you capture is in a avi format,now you need softwere to convert the file to MPEG 1 or MPEG 2 format. DVD use mpeg 2 and mpeg 1 for video cd. (softwere) try NERO or try ULEAD, there is a lot of thing you have to read and learn before you try, and you need the fastest computre you can afford you need the power for rending and encoding :)

Thanks all for the replies.

However, I don't have a tv tuner card :eek: . I'm trying to use the VIVO function. My VCR has composite video output, and my video card (X850) came with an accessory, where I can connect the composite video connector.
And my mobo's audio card, should capture the audio part.

The main problem is, how do I get this damn PC to recognize my VCR, and capture its video and audio?

Vhs-dvd

read up on your video card for capturing video,the computer will not recognize your vcr.the vcr is only providing a video signal to the x850 video card

Ok, thanks, I will try that. I'll post what happened.

BTW, wayne a, Welcome to Techspot!! :)

Ok, I've been able to record video, using movie maker. I'll now have to capture its audio.

I'll post later ;)

Great!! :giddy: Now I'm able to record video & audio, using the "line in" connector on my Ac97, and the VIVO input of my X850!

That's good. It really worked, and now, I can throw away those old, ugly VHS tapes!

Thanks everyone for your input :)

Regards :wave:

wolfram said:
That's good. It really worked, and now, I can throw away those old, ugly VHS tapes!
Regards :wave:

Don't throw away the tapes. They'll probably outlast the DVDs you created. on average most self burrned CDs and DVDs have an average lifespan of 3-5 years. A burrned disc uses dye that is changed color to absorb or reflect light so they have limited lifespan. Even most comercialy produced discs only have an avreage lifespan of 10-20 yerars. although the data is pressed into the disc, over time tha datalayer can warp or possibly the layers of the disc can start to seperate as the adhesive that holds the individual layers together breaks down due to the heat created by playing. The damage that normal use can cause (scratches,etc.) can also shorten the lifespan of the discs.

Thanks for that extensive explanation dmill89!

Perhaps I need to make a lot of backup copies of my DVD's hehe :)

Thanks for the info! :wave:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back