How can I get a Devices type menu under Windows NT4/SP6?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MYOB

My brothers aging IBM Thinkpad is running Windows NT 4 SP6 (its too slow to run 2K, and it cannot boot 9X CD's, don't ask me why)

However, he has no idea of the graphics card on the system, and SISoft Sandra will not run properly...

Is there any other way I can get the name of the graphics card, so I can get the correct drivers? IBM's website is of little help.

There is no device manager in windows nt. kind of part of the reason why it was great when windows 2000 came out!

Some of the functions that are in device manager are distributed in the control panel applets - so there is probably something extra in display settings that you have not noticed that will give you some of what you are looking for.

You may find a third party add on for it, but I don't think so.

Never mind, a bit of digging and guesswork located the card type on the net... 1024x768 finally works!

I am afraid that digging and guess work was pretty much the whole story behind working with windows NT4. I think one time I even formatted an NT machine and installed 98 on it just to see it working with plug and play and try to figure some things out!

You can add plug and play to NT4, you void the warranty I think but it is possible. It was a pnpbios.inf file or something, I think. Do a search on the net, its out there somewhere. Its even a file that's already on your Windows NT4 CD somewhere if memory serves....

Windows NT4 doesn't support plug-and-play devices out of the box, but it can be configured to a least partially support some PnP features with a little help.

Find the directory on your Windows NT CD-ROM called \Drvlib\Pnpisa, then open the directory for your system type (standard PC's are x86 or i386). In this directory are two files. To install plug-and-play support, right-click on the file called 'Pnpisa.inf' and select install. You'll need to restart Windows for the changes to take effect.

Note: Windows NT should now detect PnP devices, but you may have to configure the settings manually.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back