How can I install a PCI video card, when i already have a integrated card?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bought my comp about 2 years ago with 2.5 ghz p4 processor and a 1gb of ram for about 500 dollars not knowing the video card was integrated. After some software i bought needed vertex and pixel shaders i look into buying anew agp card, when i look in my comp i found my agp slot was removed. THe area it was supposed to be in was still there but it was gone. So now i found a really good pci card i wnat to use, how do i make it work? Like in disabling the integrated card.

Thanks

You have to disable the integrated video off in bios.But first install the new card and connect the moniter because integrated video will cease to work after dissableing it.

dmill89 said:
You have to disable the integrated video off in bios.But first install the new card and connect the moniter because integrated video will cease to work after dissableing it.

Not strictly true, you can just install the new Video card with no need to disable the onboard,

What happens if the card fails and you have disabled the onboard one ??

the problem...

there enlies the next problem, usually u get to bios through start up by pressing a key, on my other comp f1 or f2, on the comp i want to install the new video card on i dont get an option to get to the bios screen. I considered deleting the vid card driver or changing it on hte device manager, would that work? or would jsut installing the card and seeing what happened work?
THanks again

Alhough it isn't as good disableing integrated video on device manager will work. Have you tried f10 and DEL som computers use that to get into bios.As a last resort disconnect the HDD, remove any disks/cds and start your computer.It should boot to bios then.

ps:
Don't forget to install the new video card drivers before you disable integrated video.

Of the two cards you list, I'd get the fx5500, basically because it's a direct x 9 card while the 9250 is a direct x 8.1 card.

To install the card, first, while using the integrated graphics, I'd go to device manager(windows key+pause/break, click hardware, then dev mgr), expand "display adapters," right click on the integrated graphics, click uninstall. Then I'd turn the pc off, install the pci card in open slot(touch case metal before installing to discharge any possible static), connect the monitor to the pci card, and reboot. Hopefully you'll get a picture on the screen, and then you'll install a display driver when in windows(it'll use a generic driver until you install a proper driver). Most bioses will auto disable the integrated when a card is installed.
Best wishes.

My suggestion would be, if affordable, to buy a new MB with an AGP slot.. or maybe even a PCIx one. Investing on a PCI video card is not a good idea I think...

Anyway, whatever you decide, it's not necessary to disable anything. Just install the card and connect the monitor and you are good to go.

you'ld be better off keeping the cpu, memory, hard disk, floppy, and dvd rom, and getting a better motherboard. (salvage the components you have.)
AGP is on its way out, and PCI video cards are even more ancient.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back