How can I recover data from 2 250GB SATA config RAID 0?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sundoulos_

My computer's powersupply died and when I tried to replace it my keyboard and mouse stopped functioning. Thought it may have been a corrupted OS (WMC SP2) so I tried to recover per this thread Howard referred me to (this thread. The long and short of the results can be found at this one.

I need help - DESPERATELY - to find a way that I can recover some data (about 2000 pictures - hunnymoon [sic], pets, family gatherings, etc) that I should have backed but did not. I have recovered data before from ide/eide/ata drives but never any configured for RAID x.

Anyone out there that can help and would be willing to walk me through?

I have taught myself all I know about computers in the last 4 years and pick it up fairly quick, having good working knowledge of 98, ME :)evil: ), XP (all flavors), and am working with a fairly new Vista machine, will open the box to install/remove anything, and will listen and follow directions carefully (this sounds like a singles ad doesn't it?). I said all this to encourage anyone out there who may want to help but does not have the time or inclination to lay significant groundwork in solving what - I hope - is a relatively simple problem.

Hopeful Chad :)

:(

Does not apply in my case - unless you take into consideration the option that includes the pay for recovery service. If it comes to paying, I will probably have to bite the bullet and format. 2000 +/- jpegs @ 9.0 mp resolution = more than I probably make in a year.

Thanks though. My computer (the Vaio) is a brick - will not even boot. I could (i think) restore it to factory, but not without forfeiting my data. What I was wondering is how can I pull the drives out of one computer and retrieve the files with my other? I know how to do this with a non RAID array - but I am clueless when it comes to preserving the array and copying files from the drives where I can save and back them up like I should have done in the first place.

I tried to Google "RAID Repair" and got what I presented you. Some RAID controllers provide for rebuilding an Array but I don't know if another computer's controller would do this for you. Would it be possible for you to restore the Vaio using 2 different hard drives, then switch these drives with the originals?

I am thinking about trying File Scavenger out. One question I have is can I mount one of these 250 SATA HD that are in my VAIO as part of the RAID 0 array as a data disk on my primary computer, keep ckdisk from doing anything and then let file scavenger do its thing? Or will the install fail because it was apart of a RAID drive? Or an even bigger question is whether or not it will force a format without me being able to stop it?

tricky on boot if it tries to do chkdsk just stop it
once in explorer may have to take possession of drive
xp will not do automatic format

I use external adapters for most data recovery

File Scavenger is the shizzznit!

I think I will try to hook it up to the mobo. i have an enclosure for EIDE drives but would have to buy one for SATA ones. If (other than usb->mobo vs. direct mobo hookup) there isnt a difference I will go with the direct hookup as another data drive. It will not be a system drive - data drive only. I do not know how different - if at all - XP/Vista deals with internal data drives and ext. mass storage devices. Guess I will probably find out tomorrow.....;)

Well, I have learned alot about RAID. Start a pest control business I may. File scavenger is the way to go! 89.00 for the license I needed, but worth it. Not mad at all. Not to mention, my wife is speaking to me again. I kept telling myself it was just because she was pregnant and not because her mushhead hubby did not back up the digital jpgs from our wedding and hunnymoon [sic]. Come to find out she is still pregnant and talking now. :haha:

It was a little tricky - but thank God for Google, QueTek's Files Scavenger, and TechSpot. :approve: :approve: I was able to figure out how to take everything out of one box install into another, set up Scavenger, determine drive priority, stripe size, etc and as I said, I am no longer in the doghouse.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back