How can i tell if it is my mobo or psu or alternative that isnt working

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so i got my pc a month ago from a 2nd hand shop but they assured ne all the parts were one hundred percent tested and passed however they could not offer a warranty. I have :
AMD Duron 1.6ghz
Asus Motherboard (sorry not sure which one did not say on specs sheet!!!)
Nvidia GeForce Mx 2 64mb
512MB RAM
Audio Genius Soundcard

Im not an expert with computers as you can probaly tell but i know my fair share of them and have made a few in my time, successfully.
However i was given a 256MB graphics card, friend said he wasnt sure if it worked. I installed it in but my screen was all messed up so i decided not to bother and put my old one back in but now my pc wont boot. I can hear the power starting but no beeps and nothing on screen. It was said in my local repair shop i needed a new mobo because i fried mine by statuc but my close friend assured me my motherboard was working still. So how can i check if its working or not?
Thanks anyone in advance that contributes

Me again

cescfabregas158 said:
Ok so i got my pc a month ago from a 2nd hand shop but they assured ne all the parts were one hundred percent tested and passed however they could not offer a warranty. I have :
AMD Duron 1.6ghz
Nvidia GeForce Mx 2 64mb
512MB RAM
Audio Genius Soundcard

Im not an expert with computers as you can probaly tell but i know my fair share of them and have made a few in my time, successfully.
However i was given a 256MB graphics card, friend said he wasnt sure if it worked. I installed it in but my screen was all messed up so i decided not to bother and put my old one back in but now my pc wont boot. I can hear the power starting but no beeps and nothing on screen. It was said in my local repair shop i needed a new mobo because i fried mine by statuc but my close friend assured me my motherboard was working still. So how can i check if its working or not?

Ok hi me again just correcting a few things thats static and at the top me not ne

cescfabregas158 said:
AMD Duron 1.6ghz
Nvidia GeForce Mx 2 64mb
512MB RAM
Audio Genius Soundcard

Well..., how much you got that pc from that 2nd hand store?
Can you please open up the computer and look closely on Motherboard, or get the model number (you say asus... we need the model number) so we could solve your problem. :D

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

You could`ve used the edit button to correct your post.

If the pc shop says your mobo is fried, provided they are reputable, it probably is.

Disconnect anything not required to boot your computer.

Check that everything is properly seated and connected.

Just leave the psu/mobo/cpu/1 stick of ram/graphics card. Try and start your computer.

Do you hear any beeps?

Do all the fans start?

Do you get any display on the monitor.

If not then the mobo is probably dead.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Third of all... Avoid buying used computers from second handed store. Sometime they can be able to rip you off for nothing... -_-

ok so

howard_hopkinso said:
Hello and welcome to Techspot.

You could`ve used the edit button to correct your post.

If the pc shop says your mobo is fried, provided they are reputable, it probably is.

Disconnect anything not required to boot your computer.

Check that everything is properly seated and connected.

Just leave the psu/mobo/cpu/1 stick of ram/graphics card. Try and start your computer.

Do you hear any beeps?

Do all the fans start?

Do you get any display on the monitor.

If not then the mobo is probably dead.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

cheers for your help people
ok lets see, yes the fans start when i start with the very basics of the machine but no beeps and display on monitor is all black no message from monitor eg no signal detected.
for the guy who asked i cannot find my serial number and now im not sure its even asus on the chips there are: ITE, F and other, many small model numbers where should i look?
so what can i do next
by the way i payed £150 for this machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back