TechSpot

How can I tell if my memory is dual channel?

By Sleepy88
Jan 13, 2005
  1. I need to know if my memory is dual channel or single channel so I can put it in the same slots as my mobo manuel tells me to. I have two sticks of Samsung 512MB PC3200.

2. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,377

You should have 3 RAM slots, 1-2-3. For dual channel install the sticks in 1-3 or 2-3. 1-2 will be single channel.

3. Sleepy88

Sleepy88 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I see, so duel channel isn't actually a type of memory? I guess so, it's just if your motherboard supports it and you use the right configuration for it then it is "duel channel".

4. Blakhart

Blakhart TS Rookie Posts: 353

Dual channel means that the mobo chipset has dual controllers for the mem path, and if it's enabled, the bios usualy states either "mem is running in dual channel mode", or "mem in 128 bit mode" as opposed to 64bit mode, something like that yer. If you follow the mobo manual you shouldn't have any prob. You'll have the creamy goodness that only comes from dual channel memory.

5. Sleepy88

Sleepy88 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Hmmm, I'll have to go into CMOS and look at the ram options there, I didn't notice anything in my manuel about duel channel memory except configurations for duel channel memory.

6. Blakhart

Blakhart TS Rookie Posts: 353

Well, if you follow what the manual says re dual channel mem installation, you'll have dual channel goodness.

:D

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.