How can i tell if my mother board is...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nitrogen

Hey,
How can i tell if my motherboard is PCI-e x16. I know its PCI-e but no idea what the x16 is or where i can find out. Its a Gigabyte GA-81915PMD and im looking to buy a geforce 8600 GT video card, will this be compatable?
All help apreciated.

bahh, no english sites with that motherboard for some reason...

Actually, can't find any information about that board at all, you sure you copied it right?

You can always open up the case, and see if there's physically a PCIe x16 slot there or not. Some pics of the PCIex16 and how to differentiate it and the AGPx8 slot here.

Mobo manual should tell you. Isn't that a foreign build mobo?
Don't know of any english stockists that sell that one, sorry.

lol, should always check mobo manual first, it should say somewhere.

Always keep the manuals. I still do, for everything down to the manual for the CPU (goodness knows when that might come in handy...)

Thanks for the link, its definately PCI-e. Yeah i tried to search for it too but to no joy. I copyed it straight from the motherboard. Does the x16 vairy to x8 or x4, or does it just stay the same with all PCI-e mobos.

I dont have a manual i just have a quickstart guide for the computer.

Technically, the x8 and x4 slots have their own sizes, which is smaller than the x16 slot, but alot of manufacturers put x16 brackets on PCIe x8 or x4. I'm quite sure graphics cards will work on those slots, if its the same size. Probably won't see any performance difference neither.

CMH said:
Technically, the x8 and x4 slots have their own sizes, which is smaller than the x16 slot, but alot of manufacturers put x16 brackets on PCIe x8 or x4.

Bugger me, i never knew that! lol, now i do, thanks! :)

Nitrogen, this sounds a little dodgy to me, lol. How can you NOT have the mobo manual?
Did Jose the fisherman/Pc builder rig this up for you? ;)

Well, I personally never seen a PCIe x8 bracket, usually motherboards with PCIex8 use PCIex16 brackets.

But I've seen a handful of PCIex4 brackets. They're just somewhere in between the PCIex1 and PCIex16 brackets in size.

It never came with a manual, it was an out of the box computer and im trying to upgrade. And Packard Bell could be a fisherman, iv never met him.

Does it help if on my motherboard there's something that says "PCIE_16"

Every computer comes with a manual, especially those from large companies like Packard Bell. Its just not specific for the motherboard, but it should contain the information you need.

PACKARD BELL !?!?!?

Lol, i'm sorry mate, all is clear now. PB make substandard crap. Here in the UK, they are PC World own brand and suck!
Not trying to make you feel bad, its just that i've learned from experience, 3 times !! (i bought them for other people)

The mobo model you spec'd is more than likely PB's own model number labelled in conjunction with Gigabyte. Thats why you can't find it on google.

Comet do the same with their products, you'll never find the exact same model number of any product they sell anywhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back