TechSpot

How can I tell what tv card I can use?

By Browncoat
Nov 4, 2006
  1. I'm look for a tv card to buy, but I don't want to waste money and buy one that I can't use. My co-worker says I have an express, but I'm not sure. How can I tell? I want to get one so I can play my ps2 and use my laptop as the tv.

2. Mirob

Mirob TechSpot Paladin Posts: 462

You can use a USB tv tuner.

3. N3051M

N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

^ Yeh.. depends on what you want and where you can place it.

Two more common types of hardware you can get for TV tuners are USB/External based and Internal PCI etc. I think this is self-explanatory.

Then the second bit is analogue, digital or HDTV and if you want to be able to connect another device too capture..

Few TV card makers/brands:
    www.twinhan.com
    Happauge
    Pinnacle

soo.. what do you need and whats your budget?

4. Browncoat

Browncoat TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 28

Internal PCI is what I'm talking about, and the usb tv card I'm not sure if it's going to run smoothly with what I want to do with it. I want to play my playstation 2 games on my laptop, if you get what I'm saying. Plus it's like $130 on newegg.com, and I'm not going to spend that much on what might work. I have express PCI from what I'm told, and there are no cards out now that support it. Not that I'm aware of.

5. N3051M

N3051M TS Evangelist Posts: 2,115

if you only want to play your PS2 on your laptop and don't think that you'll be watching any sort of free-to-air tv on it then just get a video capture card or similar..

more specifically you're looking for cards that have a composite/s-video in then just hook your audio to the sound card or stereo..

laptops don't use PCI cards (to my knowledge, although tech changes..), i think you meant PCMCIA?

USB should be fine, as long as you're using your USB2.0 ports

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.