How Can That Be misspelled.....?

captaincranky

This is a bit silly but, won't "spell-check" allow the insertion of a custom dictionary? Many, many common terms we use are all red lined by the spell checker. ( SATA, Newegg, etc.) But it really strikes me as ironic that "Techspot" is listed as misspelled.

Does Techspot even have a spell check? I never even noticed. If you want more functionality just download Firefox. It allows you to add to the dictionary.

There is no spell check here that I'm aware of.

Perhaps you should recheck whatever spell check you are using :).

Well........I'm Baffled.........Big Time.......

I'm using Firefox (been, still, and will). I don't have a dictionary loaded in it.

The only thing I can say is, when I type a post I get a spelling check. But from where, your guess is as good as mine. Microsoft Word (OEM bundle version) is in this computer, as is a heavily "Verizon-ized" version of IE6. With tabbed browsing, no less. The spell check is active in these 2 programs. To my knowledge they're not running now.

I like the spell check, it keeps me honest

I think vBulletin can have a spell checker installed or it can be enabled. Evidently, it is installed or enabled here. I know I don't have Word, WordPerfect or any other such word processor installed on this particular PC.

Interesting - I use IE7 (I know I know) and there is no spell checking going on at all. Lets me type any old gibberish - kijsciebciehbvoib - see? The dictionary in Office also covers Outlook and Outlook Express so I wonder if captaincranky has found a tweak to extend its use across other apps?

I too am using IE7 and have no spell check. The google toolbar has one you have to activate, but I never use it.

In fact, if it were up to me, I wouldn't have it at all.

What strange posts by everyone !
But it really strikes me as ironic that "Techspot" is listed as misspelled
TechSpot is not a word
It is a proper noun, I think the only proper noun allowed is Microsoft.

But if you type anyone's name (not including double meaning names like Rob), it will underline, if you have a Spell Checker installed in your browser.

That is all.

Kim

It doesn't matter what sort of a word it is, you can update the spellcheck database with new words and so add whatever you want. The question here is why is there a spellchecker in action at all!

Remember......,you can't misspell ...."****"

kimsland said:
What strange posts by everyone !
TechSpot is not a word
It is a proper noun, I think the only proper noun allowed is Microsoft.
Kim

I was working on the premise that the spell-check was coming from this site. If that had have been true, it does seem reasonable that the site would want it's own name to appear as spelled correctly. So, that if you wrote "Tekblot", that would cause a redline.

You can load a custom dictionary in "Scrabble" (Atari) and that costs $9.95 at Walmart.

Now, as God is my witness, I'm running Firefox in Ubuntu and I'm still getting a spell-check! However, "Firefox" and "Ubuntu" are not underlined! Both of which incidentally are proper nouns. Ubuntu installed Firefox not me. <And there again neither of the words are underlined.

You left out my line "if Spell Checker is installed"

It's comming from an installed Spell Checker program (there are lots of them and free MS ones too)

I suppose this is all clear now.
TechSpot do not run backgroud SpellChecks

The reason I omitted "if spell checker is installed", was there has been no action on my part to installing one. The only add-on in the browser is "NASA Night Launch" a theme.

OK......Now I Feel Stupid....Who Am I Kidding..Not Really a New Feeling

What will they think of next...? We'll check Mictlantecuhtli's "hacks" link again.

kimsland said:
I think the only proper noun allowed is Microsoft.
Kim

I missed the significance of that statement on the first pass. Scary stuff, really scary!

I use Firefox 2 also. That accounts for the spell checker I see, I guess.

If you want to add a word to the Firefox dictionary, which you all seem to be using, merely right-click on it and click "Add to Dictionary". It isn't that complicated.

Back