How can you be your isp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dantrag

sorry but i didnt know where to put this. i would like to know how to be your own isp, so i dont have tô pay bt or any other company. :) . but i only saw other company's offering non technical packages. could any 1 tell me?

I am not sure what you mean.

You always (in any sense that we are going to have to talk about it) going to have to have an ISP of some sort to deal with your connection to the internet.

You have to physically connect your own home systems to someone else's bit of the internet. And they, by their very nature, are providing your connection to the internet, and so are your ISP.

In cisco classes, I have discussed various internet connection technologies involving routers, switches, leased lines, routing protocols, subnetting and so forth and these models have always included an ISP.

As a systems administrator of a network connected to the internet, eventually there is always a cut off point after which even physical cable, support, etc is someone else's problem and that is an "Internet Service Provider" of some sort.

I work at a university where we have an internet connection with massive amounts of bandwidth. We have thousands of connected users, and our topology includes many routers, switches, miles and miles of cables.

We still have an ISP.

You'll pay more in the long run trying to have your "own ISP" rather than paying about 5-10 years of payments.

I think ISPs have ISPs, so it would be really hard....

Phantasm should know alot more than I do...

I did think about this plan:

I have the cable modem connection at the house.

Using Windows 2003 server and an additional dial-up modem, I can configure my system so that I can call my home directly from someone else's machine, point to point, and then connect out onto the internet through the shared cable connection.

This was more something that I thought about doing purely as an intellectual exercise, not for any real reason other than to play.

I did also think about writing or getting some kind of java app that can run on my java enabled mobile phone and calling my home network to download text files, etc. Maybe so I can use my mobile to check notes and reminders, etc.

That was about as interested as I got in the idea.

Using Windows 2003 server and an additional dial-up modem, I can configure my system so that I can call my home directly from someone else's machine, point to point, and then connect out onto the internet through the shared cable connection.

Check if it's legal with your cable ISP.

My ISP is a b$#%@ about everything.

To be your own ISP you would literally have to be AN ISP. Do you have any idea how much this costs? Over $5,000/month not counting the equipment. Just the CISCO AS5300 is about $30,000 (which is what we use -- I work for an ISP). Not counting lots of other hardware you would need.

Originally posted by XtR-X
Check if it's legal with your cable ISP.

My ISP is a b$#%@ about everything.

There's really nothing to check out.

Any internet use is just seen as coming from my server. This is because I would be using the server as a router performing network address translation.

They don't see what does on inside my internet lan, because my server is acting as a router, and whatever goes on between me calling my PC from another phone line, etc, is something that will only be known to me.

The only problem I can imagine that a cable company would raise is that they would be unwilling to provide technical support for this - i.e, I would not be able to call them and ask how to set all of this up in Windows 2003. They are only interested in getting my internet connection from the server working and don't give a monkey's about what else I do.

Remember we were talking on another thread about being sure of what you are saying before you bound things around. Its just good practice, that's all.

Originally posted by acidosmosis
To be your own ISP you would literally have to be AN ISP.

I guess really that ISPs themselves also have ISPs. You are always going to be paying someone somewhere to connect to what they have so that you are conncted at all.

Originally posted by Dantrag
sorry but i didnt know where to put this. i would like to know how to be your own isp, so i dont have tô pay bt or any other company. :) . but i only saw other company's offering non technical packages. could any 1 tell me?

You are always going to be paying someone, even if you have enough money to dig up the road and lay your own fibre optic cable.

As soon as you connect to someone else, they are going to be providing you with a service connection.

However, if you desire a more versitile internet connection, then that would come from broadband, if you don't already have it.

Who are the ISP's ISP's ISP's, somewhere along the line it ends, someone is connected directly right?

Well, I would guess no, because the Internet is a "Network of Networks" - essentially lots of LANs joined by WAN links. There are interesting things kicking about in its "center" - if it actually has one - like the root DNS servers, and let's not forget about search engines, etc. But these are all just networks connected to other networks using various technologies.

No one really is "The Internet" as such, its all just atomic components and the Internet itself is the sum of ALL of these parts. When you connected to the internet, you become a part of it, albeit a part that no one really wants to talk to much because you are not that interesting.

Its a bit simplistic, but in a sense a lot of the internet is subnets connected by various WAN links, point to point connections which are router to router and so forth.

...at least, that's the way I've always understood it from the things I have read and the classes I have been to. From what I understand of it, that's the best way I can describe it.

Originally posted by Phantasm66
... a router performing network address translation.

They don't see what does on inside my internet lan ...

There was a thread somewhere on the net speaking of techniques ISPs have found to be able to count how many different machines are used behind a router with NAT ... if you want it, i can look at some places for it

You'll pay more in the long run trying to have your "own ISP" rather than paying about 5-10 years of payments.

To be your own ISP you would literally have to be AN ISP. Do you have any idea how much this costs? Over $5,000/month not counting the equipment. Just the CISCO AS5300 is about $30,000 (which is what we use -- I work for an ISP). Not counting lots of other hardware you would need.

----

There's really nothing to check out.

Believe me, I use Adelphia (very fast), but by signing up you agree to let them look into your computer for whatever purposes and you are not alowed to "uncap" your modem or even have a server--even a simple gaming server.

My friend has Adelphia and was disconnected by them because they saw all the illegal files he had on his comp (yes, I know this site hates talking about warez). And yes, they did disconnect him because he called them and they told him that they were in part liable and now refuses service.

My friend is one of those freaks who can't have enough... All you need to ask him is... "Do you have that one file which is called---?" Yes.

Phant was not talking about having game servers !! a local router has nothing to do with game servers or such

and how did they "see" illegal files on his comp ? do they install some kind of spyware or such ?

I know he wasn't talking about game servers!!! I was telling you some stuff that my ISP limits on!

My friend muttered some initials of an organization, something like DA, RA, PA, or something.

I guess really that ISPs themselves also have ISPs. You are always going to be paying someone somewhere to connect to what they have so that you are conncted at all.

Exactly. We have talked about getting DSL, but to do that you have to pay Bellsouth like TONS of money, and you end up profiting only about $5/month per customer. You have to pay
Bellsouth about $45/month per customer. Or something of that fashion. Also, do you think Bellsouth would allow you to profit from THEIR dsl business? Hell no. So its out of the question for us.
Besides if you paid Bellsouth $45, and charged customers $50, and Bellsouth only charges $45/month (or so). Where are customers going to go? Bellsouth. It would be a waste of money.

Speaking of that, Phant. What do you think our options are as far as high speed? This is something I really need to find out about. The owner said wireless possibly but I'm not so sure about that idea.

Do you guys know how much T3 would cost?

I m not sure though probably a thousand, only big companies and some universities use T3. You need special equipments to be installed to able to run T3 connection. Its not like cable or DSL where you can just use a cable line or a telephone repectively. It's not worth while for home use, as it is too expensive.

Of course, you could become an ISP if you got connected through another ISP and then allowed others to connect to the internet through yourself.

Originally posted by DigitAlex
There was a thread somewhere on the net speaking of techniques ISPs have found to be able to count how many different machines are used behind a router with NAT ... if you want it, i can look at some places for it

I am sure that these sorts of things are indeed possible (because ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE ! ! ! :evil: ! ) but I don't think most broadband ISPs have the time or the energy.

To be honest, any time I call NTL (cable modem ISP) I am shocked and surprised by how little even their engineers know. I think they have their hands full just making sure that people get connected properly. I don't think they have time to look into what I am doing as far as what's going on in my internal LAN.

However, if we are talking about something that would actually defraud them, like cable modem hacking (where I would use some hacked firmware to beat my speed caps, etc) then I think they probably have something in place to detect that.

But then again, as I have said, they don't seem to know very much even about their own network.

I'm sorry, I know I should have searched, but this topic looked like the moment for it. I don't even remember posting that.... prob cuz those were one of my first posts.

T1 @ $599/month LOLROFLLMAO!!! My ISP provides T1 at $49/month with no bandwidth limit and I even get faster than T1.

To be honest, any time I call NTL (cable modem ISP) I am shocked and surprised by how little even their engineers know.

That's probably a bit of a sweeping statement. Of course there are some brains there....

However, I didn't appreciate the NTL engineer telling me that "a DHCP server allocates mac addresses to USB ports..." any more than I appreciated the sales rep from Sun telling me that "Linux was not suitable for building clusters." Either talk sensibly or shut up, please.

That is what you want to try to tell everyone.... Don't talk bollocks because people who do know something about what they are talking about (maybe just even on just that particular topic) will spot you and never take you seriously again....

Actually...

T1 @ $599/month LOLROFLLMAO!!! My ISP provides T1 at $49/month with no bandwidth limit and I even get faster than T1. [/B]

Actually, given that the link provided is targeting BUSINESSES and not home users, it's not a bad price. There's some support and uptime measures built into that contract that you can't get as a home user.

However, google indeed is your friend. I found this site that may have more information for you:

http://www.t1shopper.com/

Enjoy!

EDIT: To further explain something: When a business orders a T1, they get (suprise!) an exclusive T1. All to themselves. Guarenteed uptime/support/throughput.

At $40 a month, you're likely looking at a fractional T1, shared with others, and few guarentees.

Hope this clears things up..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back