How do I add a second wireless router to existing router or firewall?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a small (5) peer to peer network running Win XP Pro. I would like to add an additional wireless router to existing setup.

Exisiting setup is a PC with a Compex DS 2216 router and a Cisco firewall, netiher of which I have the private IP addresses for. The wireless router to be added is a NetGear WGR 614. I am think I may have to set the second router as an access point, but am clueless how to do this.

Am I on the right track?

Why do you want to add a second router? Adding an access point will save you a lot of trouble.

If you insist on using a router then there was a thread about using two Linksys routers the hard way. You can also connect the routers using the easy way by using the LAN ports only.

I did something similar, it wasn't hard to set up.

First, find out the IP addresses that you use. A simple IPCONFIG from a command prompt will return it. Make a note also of your gateway. As an example, I'm going to say you found your IP was 192.168.1.100 and your gateway was 192.168.1.1.

Next, power up the new router, but leave it disconnected from the network. Hook one computers network cable into the new router and log into the router as per the documentation that came with it. Once inside you should be able to find a place where you can turn off the DHCP function for the router. Do this. Next, there should be a place to change the IP address of your router. Change this to something close to the gateway. ie... if your gateway is 192.168.1.1, make change the IP of the new router to 192.168.1.2 . To be safe, your could try to ping this new address from a computer currently hooked to your network to make sure it isn't already being used.

The router will probably reboot after you change the IP address. At this point, hook your computer back into your existing network. Next, hook the new router into the existing network *through one of the LAN ports*. Don't use your WAN port on the new router. You may need to get yourself a cross-over cable to hook the new router up, depending on if it does automatic MDI-MDIx switching (I know my DLink did... not sure about your NetGear).

At this point you should be up and running.

Now, set up a new router password and turn on WEP/WPA. From one of your computers on your existing network, log into the new router at 192.168.1.2 (or whatever). Change your router password to keep people from messing around and turn on WEP/WPA to keep other people out.

Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back