How do i back my hard drive properly?

Gourry32

Recently since I upgraded to windows 10(though I did not know it at the time). I been getting notices that my second hard drive has a hard disk error and I should back-up the hard drive and replace it. Well After I ran all windows related scans, like scan now, chdsk etc they found no bad sectors, but when I downloaded Partition guru and ran that it found 1 bad area on the hard drive at about 87% into the scan. So with that said I have a few questions that I need help on.

1: I have 3 hard drives in my pc, my primary is partitioned into C: and D:, My secondary is E: and F: and my 3rd is just G: if I do the back-up how would I setup the 4th hard drive to backup drives E: and F; properly?

2: Will I have to re-install any games and programs on that drive if I backup properly? (I was told no and hope its true since it has some big games on there)

3: finally could it be a false positive or is windows just that bad at finding bar areas\sectors?

1. if you are going to add a 4th hard drive, I wouldn't care about how you back up anything, I wouldn't mess with software to do so, I'd just straight up drag and drop copy the stuff over.

2. games and programs by default want to install on C drive/partition, so as long as the drive that has C on it isn't throwing errors you don't need to worry about it. You CAN'T just drag and drop games/programs from their installed location to another and expect it to work. Windows registry gets involved and its not straightforward.

3. If something legit tells you you have some issue with a drive, you probably do. I wouldn't be horribly concerned with straight up bad sectors, but I'd want to keep an eye on it.

Back