How do I backup C drive from Vista to DVD-R?

tbrick

Hello I have just removed much malware and viruses from a computer with windows vista. It is still running slow from time to time, having problems with freezing on the internet and I thought maybe by defragging it would fix the issue. Yes I have reset firefox many times, scanned many times fully for viruses and malware, removed and reinstalled flash player, etc. I need to first backup the C drive only because the D drive is full of crap. I cannot afford to do anything other than DVD-R to store it on. I am trying to find out how to do this. Is anyone familiar with such a process?

First, run CLEANMGR for each login on the PC and that includes Administrator.
This reduces the amount of data captured to at least active & meaningful.

Second, IMO backup \Users and forget all else

Format the DVD-R by right-clicking on it. Copy the files you want to back up and paste them to the freshly formatted DVD-R

I think Vista has this ability. I can only check on 7 right now. But go to the control panel and open up backup and restore. Left column has 'create a system image', that launches a wizard that will hold your hand through the process, there is an option to back up to multiple dvds.

I think that is a much better way to do it than manually copying files and messing with rewritable disks. You will use more dvds the way I suggested but dvds are cheap.

I think Vista has this ability. I can only check on 7 right now. But go to the control panel and open up backup and restore. Left column has 'create a system image', that launches a wizard that will hold your hand through the process, there is an option to back up to multiple dvds.

I think that is a much better way to do it than manually copying files and messing with rewritable disks. You will use more dvds the way I suggested but dvds are cheap.
You are correct, I just checked it out. :)

Thank you all so much! This woman is officially happy! I love computers and love learning about them! I love Tech Spot because it has taught me so much!

Crap just when I got excited. :D There are only two option in the left column: Repair Windows using system restore or create a restore point or change settings.When actually choosing the backup option in the right column it wont even allow me to change which drive I want to backup, it automatically selects D: drive. and I know if I do it that way it will not allow for multiple discs to be used therefor won't backup the drive correctly.

You are correct, I just checked it out. :)
well I cannot find this option when I go to open it. it only gives me two options either to create a restore point or just to proceed with a full backup. this saddens me as I really need to back the c drive up at least

can you help? I have not found this in vista back up restore center. I have posted more messages on it with another member above

Have you considered getting a large USB flashdrive to save everything on? Thats how I transferred/backed up files from an XP to transfer to W7.

Hi tbrick. I have to assume your pc didn't come with a Vista OS software disk, or you didn't make a Recovery disk ( or have that capability now ), or your system doesn't have a built in recovery procedure to restore it back to the state when it was new. Having the OS Recovery disk or being able to use a built in Recovery procedure would be the easiest to me, as I would just save your important files to DVD or flashdrive, then restore the system. Drivers for the system can be downloaded from the manufacturer. I'm wondering if your D drive is/was your Recovery drive.

One last idea/thought from me, when I got my 2nd hand Vista Home Premium & reset it to factory settings, a helper in here told me there was a bunch of junk programs that come with Vista that aren't necessary so with his help I removed them & my Vista is faster now. You might consider that. Good luck. :)

Ok well thank you all for all the responses. I did remove just about all the programs I could. I just thought that defragmenting might help because really that's the only left I could possibly do to fix it running slow and freezing up from time to time. Thank you guys again but I think I will just not do the back up since I really can't without buying a huge expensive flash drive.

How many gigabytes of stuff you got?
well I think it's like 64. I couldn't afford the flash drive so I bought DVD's. I read on the net of people backing up their drives on DVD-R but there isn't any good info on how to really do that. I tried on one but it tried to back up everything in one shot and one disc isnt enough.

well I think it's like 64. I couldn't afford the flash drive so I bought DVD's. I read on the net of people backing up their drives on DVD-R but there isn't any good info on how to really do that. I tried on one but it tried to back up everything in one shot and one disc isnt enough.
You might try googling Verbatim USB flashdrive & see what you find. I have one thats 465 gb & I think it cost about $65.00 or so. Not sure. Good luck. :)

can you help? I have not found this in vista back up restore center. I have posted more messages on it with another member above
Is this a machine with an actual Windows disc,or are you working from factory, "restore discs"? Because the options and procedures are quite different. A genuine Windows disc has a "repair console", (press "R"), whereas the restore disc may call this a, "non destructive restore. Sometimes there is a "restore with backup option as well".

IMHO, in these situations, you might be better off by doing a "live run" of Linux. (Run a Linux OS direct from a CD without installing it), and copy your data files to another hard drive, external or otherwise. Then reinstall the Vista with a full reformat, install an AV and or other security software, and scan your data files from the other drive for remnants of malware. Your data files may still contain executable files, which could harm or infect the new installation if triggered.

After a bad infection, I don't normally waste too much time trying to clean up the OS installation. I copy the data only to another drive and reformat. This provides a golden opportunity to weed out the crap and unused programs that build up after a time. That's just me though. Your wishes and results may vary.

After you get this straightened out, and your necessary programs installed, consider buying drive imaging software. Keep your data on another discreet drive, or partition. When things go sideways, you just pop in the image discs, and you're up and running again rather quickly.

Last edited:
Captaincranky wrote: "After a bad infection, I don't normally waste too much time trying to clean up the OS installation. I copy the data only to another drive and reformat. This provides a golden opportunity to weed out the crap and unused programs that build up after a time. That's just me though. Your wishes and results may vary."
I agree 100%, nothing like the peace of mind of a clean system after a format and OS reinstall, a lesson I learned many moons ago.

Back