How do I become more than just a newcomer?

By warren
Oct 25, 2007
Post New Reply
  1. how the hell do i become more than just a newcomer ???
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +19

3. Finchy

Finchy Newcomer, in training Posts: 378

Just get at least 50 posts
    Just make them good ones, don't do what i did when i first came here, posting rubbish that was contributing nothing
  4. midnight_aaron

midnight_aaron Newcomer, in training

Post more like im trying to do!! ;D lol
  5. beef_jerky4104

beef_jerky4104 Banned Posts: 1,094

I did the same thing Finchy, just reply to any and every thread even if you added something already addressed or unhelpful.
  6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 12,415   +281

I don't think he's ever going to make it. His last post was 4 days ago, and prior to that he was posting pretty often. Plus what kind of newb asks 'how the hell'? when discussing 'rank' on a forum.
  7. God Of Mana

God Of Mana TechSpot Paladin Posts: 502

Posing increases your stature

Hope this helps!
  8. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 616

Um... Mr. God of Mana, I think something's a bit iffy with your list, as I'm a TechSpot Enthusiast member, and I have only about 164 posts, way below 350+...
  9. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 8,385   +205

That's because the number of qualifying posts for each title was changed maybe a year or so ago. Keep in mind this thread is close to 3.5 years old.

For the current list and number of posts required for each, see here: http://www.techspot.com/vb-faq.html
  10. Lokalaskurar

Lokalaskurar TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 616

I see, good point.
  11. Zen

Zen TechSpot Paladin Posts: 938   +43

Even though this topic area is very old, I would personally like to point something out to the original poster, if he's even still around!?!

Remember my friend, it's not about the destination or what rank you are on a forum, it's more so about the journey, not the destination!

I may just be talking to the wind here seeing this thing is so old, but just chill out, relax and enjoy the brother & sisterhood here. And don't worry yourself about fancy titles by your forum name!

Journey = Priceless

Fancy rank title = No more journey

12. red1776

red1776 Omnipotent Ruler of the Universe Posts: 5,867   +74

...for everything else, there is Mastercard :p

Welcome to Techspot.:D
  13. abe10tiger

abe10tiger TechSpot Paladin Posts: 782   +10

I was wondering my self... how do you get those fancy ranks? Like ruler of the universe? Lol, really curious. :p
  14. Arris

Arris TechSpot Evangelist Posts: 4,534   +92

Above a certain rank and/or length of service they enabled the ability to edit your own custom title :)
  15. red1776

That OROTU to you Abe:p:wave:
    I think its two years in good standing and 3000+ posts if memory serves. I think the custom title option is at the discretion of management. This is from memory so grain of salt thing.
  16. abe10tiger

Gotta get to work then! I have a title in mind, :p (still a long way though)

Speaking of ruler of the universe, when I wrote that, I was thinking of a dude who has that title! I couldn't remember though until you replied here. So it was you. :)
  17. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,042   +84 Staff Member

Just to confirm Red's post, folks registered for 2+ years with 3,000+ posts get the ability to set a custom title. Sometimes we flip the switch early for highly active members who eat all their vegetables and play nice with other kids in the sandbox. See the bottom of this page for more information: http://www.techspot.com/vb-faq.html
  18. Brucew0617

Brucew0617 Newcomer, in training

OK, I am a newbie, but I will try best to live in this forum.

19. ravisunny2

ravisunny2 TS Ambassador Posts: 2,057   +8

You can get detailed information here

http://www.techspot.com/vb-faq.html

Basically there are two tiers

1) Automatic Updation of Title based upon the number of posts

2) A tier of titles given manually on a per-user basis, usually based on merit and seniority.

Do note the following for the second tier:

a) The member must have remained in good standing for a specified period of time

b) It is not guaranteed you will be given the title by just fulfilling the basic requirements.

If a person gets banned (for any reason whatsoever), he can say goodbye to the good standing.:)
  20. abe10tiger

All that hard work will just go down the dump... I better be a good boy then. :)
  21. abe10tiger

Just a question, If your account gets banned, could you still get that account back? Or is it forever gone?
  22. red1776

I could be mistaken about this....but it has been my observation that it is at least long term semi permanent.
  23. dividebyzero

dividebyzero trainee n00b Posts: 4,783   +639

I sense some doubt creeping in....not planning on going postal yet are you abe? You only just got here...
  24. Matthew

Matthew TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,042   +84 Staff Member

Outside of spammers, we rarely ban accounts on a permanent basis, and even then, they can be unbanned with the flip of a switch. Bans are usually issued temporarily (one to three days) as a warning for repeatedly violating our community guidelines -- and frankly, even that's uncommon. If I had to guess, I'd say I've issued maybe five temp bans in the last year.
  25. red1776

See Matthew...I had you covered...and you screwed it up :p

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.