How do I check power supply on an emachine T2825

Status
Not open for further replies.

garym

I turned my emachine T2825 desktop off to move it. I plugged it back in and tried to turn it on but now it does not boot up, nothing on the screen. The blue indicating light around the power switch does not come on but the hard drive amber light is on and the processor fan is on all the time. I have been reading several threads with simliar problems on this PC and it sounds like the motherboard went bad and it is possible the power supply caused it to go bad. I have check my voltages and I get the 12 and 5 vdc at all my plugs. I have replaced the power supply with another 250w P.S. but it still won't boot up with the same results as before. Before I invest in another mother board I would like to make sure the power supply is bad or not. Is there a check for this? Also do these syptoms indicate a bad motherboard?

Thanks,
Gary

I would have to agree that it sounds like a bad motherboard...make sure that everything else is SEATED correctly, especially the video card.

You can get a 15 dollar tester from a computer store that allows you to test the P-Supply...Otherwise, you might google on home ways to test it.

There is a very slim possibility that clearing the CMOS can resolve this issue. There are normally 2 ways of doing this:

1. moving a jumper on the motherboard to the second pins (Some OEM motherboards have this jumper removed) you would need to check the documentation that came with your computer to find out if it is there and if so where it is on the board, but it is normally not far from the CMOS battery.

2. with the computer powered off, remove the CMOS battery. Turn you computer on and wait about 30 seconds then power off, replace the battery and power back on again.

If this doesn't resolve the problem then it looks like it could be your motherboard or processor :(

Unfortunately the only way to fully test this is to replace the Processor with another compatible and known good processor to rule that out as a possibility, and/or to replace the motherboard.

given that you mentioned moving it you might want to check your memory and video card (if you have one) to make sure that they are properly seated and didnt jar loose while moving it. Also if you DO have a video card AND onboard video make sure that you have the monitor plugged in to the video card and not the onboard video ( I have seen it happen).

please read the FAQs in the CPU/motherboard forum rehgarding e-machines. Generally when these PSUs go bad, they take out the motherboard as well.

I did the checks that CraigMc suggested with same results. So after reading these responses, it sounds like I should just replace the power supply and mother board both. Thanks for the responses.

Gary

In Furtherance of My Unpopularity....

I had an Emachines PSU fail, without killing the Mobo. It was in the summer and it smelled funny the day before it wouldn't boot. I assume I'll get a ton of feedback about this but it occurs to me that you could replace the supply and find out if you need to replace the board. If anyone has a reason why that is not a reasonable course of action, by all means jump into the discussion.

You could use a voltmeter, but that doesn't simulate actual use conditions of the supply. In my case, I think only the 3.3V rail went dead, as all the fans worked. Lights were on , but nobody was home.

Disclaimer: My Emachines is an Intel based box. (3.06 P4, 915GAG board), it's not the one that everyone's complaining about.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back