TechSpot

How do I disable my graphics card through BIOS

By SevenCard
Jan 25, 2005
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hi, I need to disable my onboard video card through BIOS, to install my new graphics card. How would I go along doing so?
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

You could try reading your mobo manual.

If you don`t have one you may be able to download one from your mobo manufacturers web site.

Failing that during bootup try pressing either the F2 or delete keys to get into bios.

Then just search around to find your onboard graphics disable it then save and exit.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:
  3. SevenCard

SevenCard TS Rookie Topic Starter

hmmm

Well I don't have a mobo guide and I've been into my BIOS but no option to disable my onboard. I contacted my manufactuer but they sent back saying my mother board wasn't there brand.

Help :(

heres all my info.

BIOS ID: 63-0302-000000-00101111-060204-I915-A0005035
    OEM Sign-On: BIOS Date: 06/02/04 21:38:00 V
    BIOS Date: 06/02/04
    BIOS Type: AMI
    Chipset: Intel 2580 rev 4
    Super I/O: Unknown
    BIOS ROM Socket: Unknown
    BIOS ROM Size: Unknown
    Memory Installed: 503 MB
    Memory Max: Unknown
    CPU: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz 2800 MHz
  4. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,763

I think its under Advanced Chipset. But most newer boards will automatically switch to AGP if there is a card in the slot. What brand of computer?
  5. SevenCard

SevenCard TS Rookie Topic Starter

Ag

Well my computer is a HP Pavilion.
    and when i put the card in it comes as a black screem.
  6. vegasgmc

vegasgmc TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,763

7. BringinHeat

BringinHeat TS Rookie Posts: 171

Let me ask you a question when you put in your new graphics card do you run your monitor through your old onboard graphics card port or the new one when you start up your computer. If you put it on the old port then switch it to the monitor port on your new graphics card. The display mite be kinda bad but it will improve once you install the correct drivers for your new graphics card. Windows XP will automatically recognize that there is a new video card on the agp slot when you install your new video card. Let me know if this works for you!!
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.