How do I find out what type my ram is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benan

Hello, I need to know what type my RAM is.. if it is either DDR 400 or something else, people has told me it is DDR 400 due to this screenshot

RAM.png

but it is only running at 200 Mhz, If my ram is DDR 400 how come it is only running at 200 Mhz instead of 400 Mhz

Thanks.

Pc3200 and DDR 400 are one and the same.

but it is only running at 200 Mhz, If my ram is DDR 400 how come it is only running at 200 Mhz instead of 400 Mhz

Thanks.

Because it is DOUBLE DATA RATE (DDR) which means it sends the signal twice so 200mhz X2 = 400mhz

So there is no problem?

Also, how would I go about getting more RAM put in? What do I buy?

www.4allmemory.com is a good place... Or try www.pricewatch.com

What is in the system, only whats on the screen shot 256mb's? You can get another 256mb and be at 512 or I would get two 512mb modules and bump it up to 1gb to notice any real performance improvements.....

So you would need two 512mb DDR400 PC3200 modules.

So if i went to a shop and brought a 1gb stick of DDR 400 RAM come home stuck it in, it will work perfectly?

Yeah but by 2 512's just in case there is a problem you could always remove one module and still have a working computer.

Benan said:
So if i went to a shop and brought a 1gb stick of DDR 400 RAM come home stuck it in, it will work perfectly?
sometimes yes... sometimes no.

most of the time it will work. some motherboards (particularly OEM boxed PCs) are very picky about what RAM it will accept. mixing different RAM sticks can lead to stabilty problems and in some systems it may even refuse to boot. it is always recommended that you only use matched sticks of RAM to avoid any potential problems.

Kingston, Corsair, OCZ, and Crucial make good RAM. they all make value series that will save you some money as well.

most people don't need any more than 512MB, nevermind 1GB. what do you have now for a system and what are you hoping to achieve by adding another 1GB RAM to it?

I have a 256 in here already, what if i remove that and put two 512's or two 1 gb's? would it work good since they match?

that should work fine, leave the 256MB stick out and just use the 2 matched. or just buy 1 stick if you're running a single channel machine.

we can help you to get the best upgrade for your specific system. what are your computer specs? (or if its a pre-built PC, what's the brand and model#)

also, why do you feel you need more memory? depending on what you use your PC for you may not require any more memory.

Here you are:

Picture_01.jpg

Sys_info.jpg

BlahBlah.jpg

It says it onlys 192 MB.. but 64 is used for graphics.. So says the people who made it, and it is low, it wont even run Linux :S

in my opinion, a cheap video card would give you better performance by freeing up your system memory (giving you all 256MBs of it), and reducing the load on the CPU. you can buy a cheap video card for about $50 (which is less than you'd pay for 1GB RAM that would just sit in your machine unused)

i say this because you really can't play any games on that setup, so I assume that you use it for web browsing, email, etc. in which case adding 1GB of RAM would not make a big difference in performance because you're not really lacking it to begin with.

in a non-gaming rig, 256MB should be fine. if you do want more then you won't need any more than 512MB (unless you do video editing or 3d modeling) also, you have a single channel RAM limitation due to socket-754, so you would see no benefit with more than 1 stick. a second stick would not get utilized.

WHat do you mean, it wont be used? if I put 1gb RAM in there, it would just do nothing? ofcourse it will speed up my performance.

and i do alot more than browse and email hehe, i like to program and use photoshop and I want toinstall linux.

I think he should just get one stick of ram that's 512mb. IMO think he will see a huge improvment if gets the new stick of ram. But 1GB is an over kill and see nothing between 1GB and 512mb for office use.

and after that if you think you want a slightly smaller increase get a new graphic card.

Benan said:
WHat do you mean, it wont be used? if I put 1gb RAM in there, it would just do nothing?
i said a second stick would not get used. socket-754 didn't last very long because it only supported single-channel RAM (even the older socket-A supported dual channel).

in a single channel setup, a second stick will not get used until the first stick is all used up. and it's unlikely that the first stick will even get all used up.

in a dual channel setup, both sticks are used right from the start. the RAM doesn't have to wait for the first command to finish before starting a new one. the memory controller simply assignes the next command to the other stick, and so on and so on.

Benan said:
ofcourse it will speed up my performance
only if you are lacking RAM to begin with. otherwise it will do nothing.

how do you know that you need more than 512MB? or even 256MB?

Hmm, what if I got a 1 gb stick and took the 256 out..? and some games require a GB to run ..

You did not say you are a gamer. Then I would get a the 1gb stick.

What games by the way?

and to explain the meaning of DDR400 (1) PC 3200 (200MHz)

Lets say you on the freeway and the speed limit is 70mph 1 direction of traffic and 70mph in other direction. So you would not say 140mph is the speed limit because it for 2 differnet directions (on-going and oncomming traffic). It's the same for the ram you are only sending out info @ 200MHz from the ram and your reciving it @ 200MHz. That's what DDR main consept is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back