How do i format my pc?

Status
Not open for further replies.

o2Ly

hi , can someone teach me how to format my own pc. specially in drive c.. because when im trying to format drive c it always telling me that quit any disk utilities or other programs that are using this drive.

It depends. For what purpose do you want to format it?

If it's to re-install XP, option number 1 is to insert and boot from your XP CD, and when it comes to selecting a partition to set it up on, follow the onscreen instructions to delete the partition.

Otherwise, use a Win98 Setup Boot floppy (www.bootdisk.com) and use the FDISK utility to delete all partitions, and create a new one. You then reboot and format the partition.

Let us know what specifically tou want to do after formatting, and whether or not windows (and which version) is installed on this disk, and we'll be able to tell you which way is best.

i want to delete all files in my drive c and d. i dont want to include my window xp. is that possible? and i dont have a windows xp cd.

Which drive is XP installed on?

formatting a drive will result in the loss of ALL data on that drive, including XP.

If your XP is on C: you are able to format D: only
If it's on D: you are not able to format either drive (If you format C: in this situation, XP will become unbootable without an XP disk to repair the damage)

The sum of this is, that if you want to format both dirves AND keep XP, then you're going to need a bootable XP disk.

well, if you have a Dell or some such shop built computer, then you need to contact them.

If it's a self build, any computer shop really.

ic , is that windows xp disk? the one that you need in order to install win XP in your computer?

Nftdr file.

I m having certain problems.d file named NFTDR hav gone missing from my system.someone told me to format my pc.but i dont know the exact format procedure.can any1 help me.

Hi vj_catcher and welcome to techspot. =)

That does not sound like a legit file to me. You might be experiencing a malware infection. Even if it was a legit file, you do not need a reformat. You just need to repair windows, see HERE.

If you wish to check for a malware infection, please visit our Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions and follow the steps given.

Regards,
Your friendly momok =)

O2LY, if I hear you right, you just want to completely erase a load of folders and files from your C drive where XP and your programs are also installed.. right?

If so, formatting is not want you want to do, as that completely erases EVERYTHING on C, not specific folders or files.

Obviously you can just delete the folders and files normally, and then empty the recycle bin, bit I'm guessing you want to make sure that they are totally gone and unrecoverable, which is why you thought formatting was a good idea?

again, if so, you just need a utility that will wipe the files completely. Here's a link to the freeware Eraser that will do the job for you:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=37015&package_id=65323

Info:

http://www.heidi.ie/eraser/

I do not suggest you use a program to format your pc. If you have a floppy disk drive, create a Windows 98/ME floppy, and then boot the computer and select "No CD Support". You will be brought into the DOS Command Prompt:

1. Type format (drive letter):
2. It will warn you...say yes
3. Wait for the format
4. You are done :) .

Just make sure you back up all of your data accordingly and expect problems...so you're ready even if there are none.

cfitzarl said:
I do not suggest you use a program to format your pc. If you have a floppy disk drive, create a Windows 98/ME floppy, and then boot the computer and select "No CD Support". You will be brought into the DOS Command Prompt:

1. Type format (drive letter):
2. It will warn you...say yes
3. Wait for the format
4. You are done :) .

Just make sure you back up all of your data accordingly and expect problems...so you're ready even if there are none.

At my school where I graduated as a IT tech, they gave us flush_hd, a little tool that once executed delete ALL FILES AND ALL PARTITIONS at once after a reboot.
The trick is you run it, reboot and then noting else is left on your computer.
Work great and really safe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back