TechSpot

How do I fresh install 2000

By Bloo Ice
Jun 19, 2005
  1. Hi. My friend and I just traded XP Pro for 2000 Advanced Server. I'm trying to set 2k AS on my computer I have acting as a server. Right now, it has that copy of XP Pro. I put the CD in the drive and it said something like since this is a newer version of Windows setup will be disabled. So, I restarted, with the CD in the drive. After it counts all the ram, and goes to boot, it says something like Operating System Not Found. Nothing else. I got into DOS, but for some reason it wouldn't let me access any drive other than the floppy. [I'm trying to get another boot disk, but right now am having problems with finding a good floppy]. I tried taking all CDs out, and it still says Operating System Not Found or whatever it says. I put another XP cd in, just to test it out, and it booted right into setup. My friend said I need to create a second partition, alongside XP's, and then install it on that. Well, I can't install it if I can't get into setup. Also, I have my drive full, with just 2 partitions. One, 3 GB for the OS, and the other is 114 GB for documents. Since it was just a file server I didn't think I'd need any more. What do I do now?

2. zephead

zephead TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,569

if you can't boot to the cd (by changing your boot order in the bios), attempt booting to a windows 98 setup floppy. you cannot access the drive from dos because no cd rom drivers have been loaded. the win98 setup floppy will start widn a menu. choose option #1 (start computer with cd rom support) and you will have access to the windows 2000 cd. once at a command prompt, execute the setup file on the windows 2000 cd. good luck.

3. Bloo Ice

Bloo Ice TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 63

So, assuming that works, it will work just like XP setup? I'll go in, delete the OS partition, format a new one in it's place, and then install 2k on that partition?

Also, does 2000 AS have Remote Desktop hosting capabilities? That's what I use to control it, since it's in a laundry room and there is no place for a monitor in there.

4. Bloo Ice

I got into the setup, and it was complaining that it needs a disk with at least 309 mb, and it can't find it. Well, that seems odd. So, I thought maybe that it needed a fresh partition, so I used FDISK to delete the OS partition, and created a new one in it's place. But, it's still whining about not having anywhere to isntall to. What do I do now? thanks

P.S. 100th post!

5. zephead

perhaps it doesn't 'see' your hard drive(s). in such a case, you'll need to manually install the driver when prompted when the setup progam loads. did your copy of 2000 come with a manual?

6. Bloo Ice

Maybe it doesn't. The drive isn't that old though, 2 years I think. I didn't see anything asking to maunally load drivers. Unfortunately, I didn't get anything other than the disc...bought it used. Might not be the most legal, but hey, it works, and I put my money in for it. They "said" they uninstalled it from their computer, but who knows.

7. zephead

is the copy of windows an oem disc, or was it bought retail?

8. Bloo Ice

It is retail

9. zephead

perhaps it is looking for unallocated disk space. try running the setup with a few gigs of unallocated space on your hard drive.

10. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

If that CD is not self-booting, there is a directory 'bootdisk' on it.
    Run makeboot.exe from there, it will create 4 boot-floppies.
    If you run this from within Windows on another PC, you can use makebt32.exe instead.

11. Bloo Ice

Actually I just went to bootdisk.com and got the 2000 AS boot disk. That's what did the trick! I got it installed and am setting it up now. But that just raises further questions, how to get it setup. I'll play with it for now, and if I can't figure something out...maybe you kind folks will help me out.

THanks!!!

12. RealBlackStuff

RealBlackStuff TS Rookie Posts: 6,503

Put it in a partition of about 10GB.
    You actually need less than 1GB for basics, but that soon grows.
    Other than that, XP is nothing but W2K with a Fisher Price interface and a few extra bells and whistles.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.