How do I get into repair on XP cd

Status
Not open for further replies.

fnugen

Okay.........stupid question time. How do I boot my pc off the winXP cd to attempt a repair of XP ?? I placed the CD in my drive, changed CMOS to 1st boot cd/dvd..........and it goes right into windows. WTF am I not doing right ?? Off the CD I have install, or upgrade when in windows.....can I shortcut my way through to the repair option through there?? Not ready for a reformat yet, want to try the repair side of XP........help !!!

V

Did you make sure to save the changes before exiting? what kind of OS disk do you have? retail, OEM?

Is this an original CD or a copy? If it's a copy maybe it's not bootable. In that case you will need to use the 6 floppy disk boot disk set. On my PC it prompts me to hit a key to boot from CD-ROM, if I don't it goes to the next boot device set in the bios and skips the CD-ROM drive. Once you get it to bot from the CD-ROM you just follow along the menus as if you were going to install XP. You will get an option to repair the existing XP install on the hard drive.

iss has a very good point.

When you change the boot order in bios, you must save and exit the bios, with your Windows XP disk in the drive.

Full instructions for doing a Windows repair can be found HERE

Regards Howard :) :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back