How do i get online using my mobile phone as modem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all
Is it possible to use my mobile phone as a modem to get online with my pc at home, on my new contract with t-mobile i have unlimited internet but i would rather use my pc. How do i do it?
Thanks in advance
Del

You connect the modem to your computer either through a cable, via infrared or over Bluetooth. The computer should find many pieces of new hardware and recognise one of them as a modem. After that you just dial your mobile provider's 3G/GPRS/GSM dialup number just like with normal dialup.

* Depending on your phone and connection method, you may have to install the horribly bloated, slow, evil etc software suite from your phone maker to make things work :(

* Some quirkier phones/providers may require you to put in some special modem init strings. See your provider's support pages or call them for help.

Hi Bubbadel, I agree with Nodsu, but the other thing u should remember is that u can do what Nodsu say in windows only but no linux, so if u are running linux, u have to let us know so that we tell u what to do.
Otherwise, wish u luck.
Robin

Hi, i'm using windows xp pro. What i want to do is use the internet connection on my mobile, i dont want to use a dial up service, ie: have to pay for the service. Ideally i want to connect phone to pc, then from pc go online through the mobile internet connection if you get my drift. My phone is an MDA compact 3. What connection would be best, cable or bluetooth?
Cheers

hmm may i know which version of windows mobile does it run?
i thought you were running non"smart"phone such as nokias or sonyericssons

from my experience, i used to connect and pair both devices via bluetooth and made PAN network. but i have different scenarios. for my sonyerie, it's not dial-up GPRS. so i use sony's option : bluetooth internet which is very useful.

however for my nokia (as it dial up gprs) i used to pair the device and add nokia as modem. after finish all the mess, just create new connection, fill all necessary info and done.

how is your phone connected to internet? GPRS?
and what type is it? (can check in the phone settings)

about the connection. i used to the cable connection. but when i found that bluetooth connection is simpler and hassle-free, i moved to bt.
actually it depends on how fast does your service provider offer.

depending on your connection type and phone model,
some could take seconds to setup, but another could take years... ;)

My phone is running windows mobile 5, connection is by gprs. a friend of mine said to use a bluetooth connection but he was not sure how to do it. I'm sure in this day and age it must be possible

to be honest, if i'm using a basic sony ericsson K800 can get my laptop online in the middle of highway using bluetooth-gprs connection, your "smart" MDA compact 3 should do better than mine...

however, im not so familiar with windows mobile devices, however i'll try to google for it...

so first thing you got to do is pair your PC up with your PDA. (bluetooth prefered) and then in the settings. make sure the "dial-up connection, serial port connection are enabled.
*assuming you;re using basic bluetooth driver supplied by windows xp...

about the cable, sorry mate but i have no idea...
the other day connecting my nokia via cable is 10x more complicated than bluetooth. however, the case seems to be easier because fortunately my service provider does provide a driver in its website...

hence. i wish to confirm, if you use bluetooth method:
do you use bluetooth dongle?
and then what software are driving it? (i.e. BlueSoleil, WIDCOMM, etc)

i just find two methods of doing so under windows mobile 5.
however, i don't have same phone with you, and the settings i've found is made for my country. hence i do not guarantee it will work. however, i'll translate one of them for you:

1. Turn off your ActiveSync in your computer
2. Execute Auto Config GPRS in your PDA based on network you're using.
3. Plug in your USB cable to the computer
4. in your PDA, start --> program --> Internet Sharing
5. PC Connection --> USB
6. Network Connection --> your own GPRS settings (i.e. Tmobile)
7. Then hit " connect" and your PDA will be automatically connected to the GPRS
8. When it's done. you could start using internet in your compuer
9. If your computer prompt you for modem driver, you could obtain the file from CD that come with your phone.

okay it's getting late here i need to go to sleep :p

let me tell you the keywords to find the proper method in google:
WM5 bluetooth internet sharing.

Good Luck.

thanks Nismo, i only recieved the phone a couple of hours ago, i just decided to look at the users manual and voila there is a section devoted to connecting to a pc/laptop and using phone as a modem, so all being well later tonight i could be online but things are never that simple, i'll let you know how i got on tomorrow. Thanks for help and hopefully i wont need to waste anymore of your time......
Del

it's okay.
just that tommorow im having exam in my classroom :D lol...
good luck too...
hope you could get online with it :)

Thanks nismo i'm now online, had to install the software twice and install service pack 2 due to missing files but all is good now:grinthumb

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back