How do I get past 2.35ghz with Athlon 64?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tepabajo

Been struggling to get past 2.35ghz for awhile then I decided to remove one stick of ram. After that I was able to OC to 2.42 with my ram at around 484mhz, that was great! So then after reading about bios version 1009 supporting the 400mhz ram speed I decided to go backwards to the 1009 and add back my second stick, downside, back to 2.35ghz! I have tried reducing the CPU multi to 8 and bumping up the FSB slowly but still does not boot. Also, I swapped out the DIMMS just to make sure that one wasn't bad and they both would go all the way up to almost 490mhz independantly, so I ruled out a bad DIMM. I even tried running on the divider of 333 with no luck. It seems as though once I add back that second stick of ram it won't go past 235FSB no matter what I do. The good news is after downgrading to bios version 1009 I can run at 470mhz whereas before I could not get past 333mhz. Heat is not a problem.

Based on this limitation, wouldn't it be better to have my cpu running at 2.35ghz with 2gigs of ram running at 470mhz or the cpu running at 2.42ghz with 1gig of ram running at 484ghz? Also, what would cause my CPU to hit the ceiling of 2.35ghz by just adding the other matched paired stick of ram?

System specs:
Athlon 64 3000+ Newcastle/CG stepping
Asus 754 K8N-E Deluxe mobo w/bios 1009
Corsair TwinXMS2048-3200 (2x1gigs sticks)
ATI X850XT PE AGP video card

whats the mems timings ? try loosening them up and then try to see how far it goes . and are u using stock volts on the me ? try upping them up a lil bit as well ...

tepabajo said:
Based on this limitation, wouldn't it be better to have my cpu running at 2.35ghz with 2gigs of ram running at 470mhz or the cpu running at 2.42ghz with 1gig of ram running at 484ghz?
1 GB RAM increase instead of 0.07 GHz CPU speed? I'll take the RAM, thanks.

tepabajo said:
I even tried running on the divider of 333 with no luck.
333 requires slower RAM timings - 3-3-3-8

tepabajo said:
Also, what would cause my CPU to hit the ceiling of 2.35ghz by just adding the other matched paired stick of ram?

Memory controller adds 2T to pairs.

Try HT 3x, DDR300, 2.5-3-3-8, CPU 1.7V, RAM 2.6V, Chipset 1.7V. RAM speed should be around 200, clock speed around 270.

Get faster RAM like PC4000.

Disclaimer: Do not hold me responsible if your system bombs ... permanently.

Thanks Ruder, but with a disclaimer like that, no thanks.

Tried changing only the divider down to 133 and still no go. Bumped up the FSB one notch to 236 and system would not boot. Why is it that I can remove one stick of ram and the thing will take off big time?

I have my ram timings set to auto and they are 3.3.3.8 at 1T. Any tighter than that and the PC won't boot. Any looser than that and it won't boot. Already have the ram voltage set to 2.7 per Corsair and the CPU volts to 1.575.

Voltages are already bumped up.

I won't advise any OC without the disclaimer.

Dunno why I answered your post on this... In general I don't advise any OC on these forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back