How do I get rid of physical memory..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Themadtrix

I have a problem and its kinda urgent cos my work is all in there that needss to be handed in up tomorrow..
Ermx...Sometimes when I start my computer...they come up a blue screen saying that Unknown error on computer and it fails to start up...
begin dump of physical memory...
How do I go from there? Thanks a lot ppl...I really need it...

That is what we refer to as a BSOD(Blue screen of Death) The cause could be one of many. If you care to wait it out, your machine should eventually reboot after dumping the contents of RAM to a file(hense the message about memory dump)
Many times you might get one of these and not see another for many months, other times you may get one that is related to a problem with a new piece of software or a device driver and will keep coming up till you remove the program or update/rollback the driver. They can also be related to pieces of hardware conflicting with eachother, missing or corrupt files, virus infections, and just about anything else you can imagine.
More info on the exact error message might be helpful in determining the cause of your BSOD. Also, any recent changes to the system(software and/or hardware) would be very helpful.

In my experience, most BSOD's that I have come across were due to corrupt drivers or just bad driver design. You might want to try and update all the drivers for all your hardware.

Does the BSOD mention a specific file? That would make it a lot easier to figure out where the problem is coming from. For example, the other day I got a BSOD due to a program called Netpeeker which I have been using for a while. I updated to the newest version and started getting BSOD's. The filename the BSOD mentioned was netpeeker.sys which made the culprit pretty obvious.

Have you tried booting into safe mode? To do that press F8 just before you'd normally see the Windows splash screen. There is a fair chance it will boot up in safe mode and you can get whatever you need turned in tomorrow off the drive then.

I wasnt even allowed to go in safe mode...
I was stuck with last command... win32/apps
I waited but nothing happened...
They said unknown drive error or something like that...

"Something .." error descriptions aren't very helpful. Try to remember or write down the exact error.

You can try testing your computers memory and the harddrive to make sure those aren't faulty.

What did you do to your system before the problems started?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back