TechSpot

How do i get rid of these annoying pop ups!!!???

By mjm1084
Dec 22, 2005
  1. Hi everyone, new to the site, and i really need some help. My machine at work in doign my head in to say the least! There are approximately 5 pop up ads which appear per MINUTE. In the morning i have to sit and close them all before i even open my works software.

I have tried ad-aware, this got rid of some stuff, but hasn't affected the pop-ups. I've got AVG on here too, nothing been picked up here. I also have spybot - it picks up a few but recently nothing, and even when i deleted these things it didn't help with the pop ups. i have tried free registry cleaners and nothing.

i have uninstalled all the unnecessary programs and deleted their threads from the registry myself.

i've even tried, painstakingly, to copy and paste all the pop-ups site addresses to my ignored lists etc etc and deleted everything i could find on my computer that shouldn't be there all to no avail.

i've also run hijackthis today and i will attach the log file for you to look at.

I'm losing the will to live and it will soon be hurtling to a very quick and painful death when i decide to throw it out of my fourth floor window.

PLEASE HELP!!!

2. Peddant

Peddant TS Rookie Posts: 1,644

3. mjm1084

mjm1084 TS Rookie Topic Starter

hi peddant

i shall try this and see if it helps any, but i doubt it at the moment, as they pop up even ehen i dont have IE open on my screen!!

Any other help would be much appreciated, but thank you peddant!!

Michele

4. Peddant

Peddant TS Rookie Posts: 1,644

It`s Peddant with a capital P,actually.As for your problem,try this,http://www.trendmicro.com/spyware-scan/ It`s an online-spyware scan,with a good reputation.When it`s finished,tell it to remove any nasties.Even if it doesn`t find anything, you should still use Firefox instead of IE,as that will help prevent any further trouble.By the way,that scan requires IE (Active X don`tcha know).I can`t help you with the hijackthis log because I`m only a newcomer in training.

5. Tedster

Tedster Techspot old timer..... Posts: 10,074   +13

TURN OFF system restore, run your antivirus and anti trojan horse programs. You may need to use more than 1 type of anti trojan horse program.

6. kens8

kens8 TS Rookie Posts: 57

Go to the Tech Support Guy Forums (http://forums.techguy.org/54-security/) and ask them about it. Those guys really know their stuff. They'll help you not only stop the popups, but root out all the little bits of spyware that is causing them.

7. Shadowrunner

Shadowrunner TS Rookie Posts: 149

8. Bender99

Bender99 TS Rookie Posts: 24

Firefox with the adblock plugin installed works the best for me.

9. vhunter

vhunter TS Rookie Posts: 89

Yeah, Admuncher may work, but it's a pain in the *** to uninstall. My taskbar somehow disappeared after I removed Admuncher, and I needed to do an SFC scan to get the necessary file back.

I know that the Proxomitron works on some ads; I barely see them anymore!

10. mjm1084

mjm1084 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Sorry to Peddant - didn't realise it was a capital!

11. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go HERE and follow the instructions exactly. Don`t forget to rename HijackThis.exe to HijackThis1991.exe

Post fresh HJT and Ewido logs as attachments into this thread, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of mjm1084 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.