How do i Install Xp from an external Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cyber

Hi sup guys... i have a big problem... My dell laptop's optical drive just went bad... the good thing is that i still have my warranty.... but the bad news is that when i purchased the laptop it came with windows xp sp2 but later on i installed a fresh copy of Win xp Media Edition.... and when i called dell they told me that i need to go back to my older configuration before they will help me...

This is what i have i have
1) my external drive (a drive put in to an external CD/DVD/HD case)
2) my xp cd's
3) My poor laptop (basice info)
Dell Inspiron 6400
Intel core duo 1.6
2 GB Ram
120 GB HD
Windows xp Media Edition
4) A broken internal optical drive and a lot of anger towards dell and it customer service ...

Well i have read reviews on using xp floppy discs but since i dun have a floppy drive i will have to pretend that that solution does not exist.

So If u guys have any ideas… plz let me know… oh and bty my bios does support USB external devices…. I am saying that because in bios > boot sequence; there is an option of external USB Devices…

I have tried to boot it from the external drive but it won’t boot…

Thanks in advance
Cyber

The only thing I was able to do in a similar situation was to buy a replacement optical drive. What you do with it afterwards depends on how you feel about Dell.
I agree that their treatment of clients is shabby and a disgrace. It is the same here in UK so must be policy!
Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back