TechSpot

How do i Install Xp from an external Drive

By Cyber
Jul 26, 2007
  1. Hi sup guys... i have a big problem... My dell laptop's optical drive just went bad... the good thing is that i still have my warranty.... but the bad news is that when i purchased the laptop it came with windows xp sp2 but later on i installed a fresh copy of Win xp Media Edition.... and when i called dell they told me that i need to go back to my older configuration before they will help me...

This is what i have i have
    1) my external drive (a drive put in to an external CD/DVD/HD case)
    2) my xp cd's
    3) My poor laptop (basice info)
    Dell Inspiron 6400
    Intel core duo 1.6
    2 GB Ram
    120 GB HD
    Windows xp Media Edition
    4) A broken internal optical drive and a lot of anger towards dell and it customer service ...

Well i have read reviews on using xp floppy discs but since i dun have a floppy drive i will have to pretend that that solution does not exist.

So If u guys have any ideas… plz let me know… oh and bty my bios does support USB external devices…. I am saying that because in bios > boot sequence; there is an option of external USB Devices…

I have tried to boot it from the external drive but it won’t boot…

Thanks in advance
    Cyber

2. AlbertLionheart

AlbertLionheart TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,714

The only thing I was able to do in a similar situation was to buy a replacement optical drive. What you do with it afterwards depends on how you feel about Dell.
    I agree that their treatment of clients is shabby and a disgrace. It is the same here in UK so must be policy!
    Cheers

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.