How do i make a seperate partition so i could save my windows data on it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sw123

Hi:

I was wondering if its possible to make a partition on my hard disk so i can back up my windows xp data on it because i have no windows xp cd and i have an emachines t2682 with a recovery disk...and i really hate to wipe it every time it crashes. Is there a way to create a partition using some kind of partition wizard or something? I would appreciate it if it was free. That would be very helpful.

I'm not having a problem right now, but i would like to do that so i can repair the hard drive and perhaps save everything on my hard disk because i hate to lose my save games, etc.

thanks for replying in advance!
sw123

Have you tried any of the tools in the "download" section here? I don't know how good this one is but partition manager . Hope that helps, good luck :)

I highly suggest getting a second hard disk. If your first hard drive crashes, you'll risk losing your data. It doesn't matter what partition if your hard drive fails.

Actually, i think i would have to agree with tedster. It might be a good idea to just purchase another hardrive, at least a cheaper one on which you can back up you info.

Well I gotta wait until I can earn the money, because Im only twelve and I cant get a job(obviously) so Ill have to earn money and take on rare opportunities(such as watching someones dog) Can you give me some recommendations? I only need about 5GB and I have a eMachines T2682 and I heard you cant add internal hard drives, so I would need an external one. I have no idea where I could find one, but Im basically broke after I purchased my computer upgrade(I bought a PNY FX5500 128 MB DDR Dual VGA PCI card and 512 MB DDR SDRAM, plus a new external sound card, old one fried) My computer is in really bad shape, so i might as well back up all the old data and get a new system, but I have no money for that, plus I like my old machine considering that It is my first one I bought and I would hate to lose it for virtually no reason. I dont know if its really my hard drive, because I ran a hard disk check and it passed with flying colors. Perhaps Its some kind of virus or bug in the operating system. Maybe you can explain the first crash I had with my system:

1. I booted up my system and it took forever.
2. It asked to do a disk check. I say, sure, go ahead.
3. Many fire record segments were unreadable, and my system said: 'an unspecified error has occured' took a couple seconds to restart itself, then repeated to step one during startup.

I fixed this problem already with a restore disk(the wrong type for my system i used the one for the c2881 model form emachines,but it worked anyway), but I lost all my precious data and It was horrible and destructive to my system. Is there a way to fix this in the future without a windows XP cd or wiping the whole thing? Thank you guys for replying, anyway.

Best regards, sw123

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148051]20 gig seagate, $30[/URL]

Hardly hot rod, and you can prob get it for less, but if you need a new hard drive, Seagate is the best, next is Western digital. Umm...tight budget, there is only so much you can do, mabye someone else can help out, but i think you are going to need to reformat, that is any OS you can deal with, or get a new hard drive(same story). Suggestions? I'm no expert, so correct me if i'm wrong.

sw123 said:
Well I gotta wait until I can earn the money, because Im only twelve and I cant get a job(obviously) so Ill have to earn money and take on rare opportunities(such as watching someones dog) Can you give me some recommendations? I only need about 5GB and I have a eMachines T2682 and I heard you cant add internal hard drives, so I would need an external one. I have no idea where I could find one, but Im basically broke after I purchased my computer upgrade(I bought a PNY FX5500 128 MB DDR Dual VGA PCI card and 512 MB DDR SDRAM, plus a new external sound card, old one fried) My computer is in really bad shape, so i might as well back up all the old data and get a new system, but I have no money for that, plus I like my old machine considering that It is my first one I bought and I would hate to lose it for virtually no reason. I dont know if its really my hard drive, because I ran a hard disk check and it passed with flying colors. Perhaps Its some kind of virus or bug in the operating system. Maybe you can explain the first crash I had with my system:

1. I booted up my system and it took forever.
2. It asked to do a disk check. I say, sure, go ahead.
3. Many fire record segments were unreadable, and my system said: 'an unspecified error has occured' took a couple seconds to restart itself, then repeated to step one during startup.

I fixed this problem already with a restore disk(the wrong type for my system i used the one for the c2881 model form emachines,but it worked anyway), but I lost all my precious data and It was horrible and destructive to my system. Is there a way to fix this in the future without a windows XP cd or wiping the whole thing? Thank you guys for replying, anyway.

Best regards, sw123

external

External are a bit more spendy. If you have the error number, i would just "google it", other wise you can post it and someone may have specific knowlege on the subject.

nathanskywalker, i have a question

I still want to partition my harddrive. With the partition manager you sent me, how do i proceed with partitioning? I think it may help me because i have games that arent working correctly because something on my harddrive is corrupted...

Even if you disagree, can you still tell me how to partition it?

thanks,
sw123

First off, for being 12 years old, sw123, youre pretty compitent with the PC. :approve:

Ok i read the posts, and im confused. Do you want to copy all of your windows information to a seperate drive? Or a seperate partition of your exisiting drive.

If youre HD is about to go down, making a seperate partition withyour windows info is not going to help much.

In that case i would recomend (as everyone else has) a new HD. I would get a cheapie internal HD. They are very easy to hook up, and there is no need for an external HD. And with your limited budget, it seems best to go that way.

Now, what exactly is wrong with you HD? Does you drive have S.M.A.R.T?

http://www.hddstatus.com/hdrepanalysis.php try that link, and see if any abnormal values are found.
And while your at it, run a CHKDSK

according to the link you sent me, they say my HDD has S.M.A.R.T, but even if they're wrong, is it still possible to partition my HDD so I could save windows data on it so I wouldnt need to use the restore disk for my PC? If this will work, here's how I will fix my PC(without startup disk, windows XP cd, or restore disk)

1. See if there is a problem(well, ya)
2. Boot from second partition in safe mode
3. Copy windows data to first partition
4. Reboot, and it should work!(right?)

Also, I called emachines about putting in a new HDD, and they said its not possible for my system to put in a second HDD(unreliable emachines :mad: ) so I cant install a new internal HDD, but I can install the external HDD. Is it possible to boot form an external HDD, if the drivers and what-not are still in the system?

Thanks for the compliment ATK SPADE :)

Also, thanks for replies everyone!

P.S: I still would want to partition the harddrive, so How do i use partition manager? Ans also, I have no idea what is wrong with my HDD, so I cant tell why my system is crashing. I ran a disk check 2 days ago and nothing was wrong. Everything was working properly, except it gave me this at startup:

We apologize for the inconvience, but windows did not start successfully. A recent software or hardware change may have caused this

...(bunch of stuff)
...(bunch of more stuff)
...(yet more stuff
...(options)
...(options)

I chose start windows normally, it worked fine.

Ok, when i refered to SMART, it has nothing to do with Partitioning. SMART stands for Self-Monitoring Analysis and Reporting Technology. This feature will tell you (realitively) the condtion of your drive.

I think the Emachine support is BSing you. What are your system specs? Does you Mobo have an open SATA or IDE Channel?

As for the software you mentioned...i have never used it :p

Sean

System specs

eMachines T2682(upgraded)
Processor: Intel Celeron 2.60 GHz
Motherboard: Intel 845GV
RAM: 768 MB, 765 MB Available
Video card: nVidia GeForce FX5500 Dual VGA 128 MB DDR
Optical drives: Samsung CD-RW 48x, Samsung DVD-ROM 16x, 3 1/2in floppy drive
O/S: Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition.

I believe I have a SATA or IDE channel, but how can i check.

Message for nathanskywalker: Can you please tell me how i can use partition manager to partition my HDD?

Ok, about the partition manager, i don't think it will do you much good, but i will check into it, sorry bout that, actually i've never used that particularr program, and i've been quite busy, so lemme take a look and fig it out, it should be quite simple, i have used one or two like it though.

About IDE or SATA, almost positive your drive would be IDE, but if you want to check, first of all you can open up your box (if you know how they look), or you can, and here's the instructions on checking that:

I.Right click on "mycomputer"

II. Select "properties"

III.Go to the "hardware" tab"

IV. Open the "device manager"

V. Look for "disk drives" (they should be right under the "computer" icon

VI.Double click on the drives (one at a time)

VII. Go to "details", the tab on top

VIII. The lower screen there should say IDE, or whatever

That is for xp, you have xp right? It would probably be a little differrent for ME or 2k.

Oh and btw, if you can fig this all out you're doing betta than i was at your age ;). nYway, sorry bout that, that partion manager was a little more complicated unessicairly, heres another one i'll try to look at, though really, partioning isn't going to help, probably the best thing to do would be, if you have a burner, burn your info, or even borrow someones else's for a little while. but nyway
.https://www.techspot.com/downloads/673-swissknife.html

Personally, i don't have much experience with actually moving files from one partion to another, so you may need someone else to help out there.

look to download Belarc it will tell you what is your machine specs.
or open up machine to visually look for the sata channel ,ide connection.
where is your manual it may show the MB and connections on it.
these machines sometime do not have a 2nd IDE connection
if SATA (good chance ) it gotta have a 2nd SATA channel ???
as for jobs to make cash,these days at 12 it tough
when I was 12,40 yrs ago I did brick cleaning and demo work
very illegal today.
I even sold light bulbs door to door some older ladys did not know how to change there bulbs,thats what they said anyway.

Good Luck

OK I didnt use Berlac because I already had everest home edition, and it tells me I have 2 IDE channels. Primary is used for my first HDD, the other is still open. I have one question though. If i got an external USB HDD, and i had enough memory to put windows data on it, would I be able to boot into windows? If I cant, I have some money to buy the HDD, but I need to talk to eMachines first to see which one is best. I prefer it if I bought it from eMachines or Circuit city, best buy, whichever is cheapest(after all, im still only 12 :D) And nathanskywalker, you said I was better than you with computers when you were 12, most likely, it because back then computers were a lot more complicated and harder to use than compared to now, no games to soothe youre mind with, lol :p

Also, one more thing: If anyone has a partitioning program they know how to use, please tell me so I can partition my HDD and save my data.

lol, thanks, btw, i'm only 17 :), heh, so yeah only 5 yrs ahead of ya, mabye...inyway, if you can get a hold of an external, things could be very easy, that is, to clone your hard drive. You can actually get at least a demo program that should work, and would copy your exact files and layout to another hard drive, either that, or scince you have one IDE connection open, you could even get an internal and simply move everything over to that one, boot from it, format the old hard drive and use it as storage. I dunno, i'm not quite sure which dirrection you wanna go, lemme know and i'll see if i can be a little more help.

Obviously, if I get a low-end HDD, I will not abandon my old hard drive, considering its 80 GB, much much better than 5 GB(DUHHHH!!!) So I was going to boot from the slave drive and just recopy the windows data onto the master drive, then reboot and use the master drive. I'll talk to eMachines later and see if I can find a new HDD to put windows data on it. Considering the prices from eMachines, I will most certainly not buy the HDD from them, just get what they recommend and just buy it from Circuit city or whatever. Thanks for replies

alright, well, if there is something else you need to know, let us all know, i'll see what i can do. Hope i've been some help. And if you can manage $50

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822148107

There's an 80 giger, and Seagate is the best. But anyway, so, did you think that the hard drive was corrupt? Or is it a software probelm, because if it is software, you're going to need software (mabye a recovery disk), if it's hardware, yoou're going to need new hardware, anyway, hope that was some help.

I dont need an 80 gigabyte HDD, I just want a cheap maybe 5 gb hdd.

I dont think it has to do with hardware, because I dont believe that this is a hardware problem:

C:\WINDOWS\System32\CONFIG.SYS

This is software configuration, I dont think it could be anything else. I googled it and search microsoft.com, and its nothing more thansoftware config. I'll contact eMachines sometime to ask them about a new HDD for my PC, but i know I would have to put windows data on it, or maybe just transfer it through the old one and use it only when I need to. Should I just use my eMachines restore disk to put the windows data on it? or should I just transfer it all to the new HDD from my old HDD, use my old one and when the old one goes down, I transfer all the windows data back into the old HDD?

First off, i would try to contact emachines (even though you did once). Get a little more info out of them. Then, if you have a restore disk, i would just run that on your current hard drive. That should fix it, though i would ask Emachines for details. If it's just a small software issue, i think a restores disk should fix it.

there is a tech cut off point where you pay more for less
so a 5gb may cost more per gb than a 20 gb
and thinking ahead you may need the new drive to replace the drive you have
anyway
pulled from ebay
10gb maxtor

The problem with the missing config file has happened many times, so I think maybe my HDD going bad.

Do you have a warrenty? Because if this has happend before ( repeatedly), you're just going to have to get a new hard drive. And like was pointed out, you'll want to spend a reasonable amount on it. Heh, know that sucks, heh, trust me, i've had worse though. Blew up just about everything in my computer once :|...don't ask....heh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back