How do I network 2 computers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhopeck

I have 2 computers (computer 1, and computer 2) running XP, standard road runner connection thru a linksys 5 port switch(10/100 i think), and a printer connected to computer 1. What are the steps I need to take to make these computers 'see' eachother? each of them has internet access. I just don't know what I need to do xp-wise (what do i do to each computer?) If anyone can give me step by step instructions I would be very grateful.

Thanks,

Matt
"today i learned how to fly, now i'm never coming down"
- Rise Against "Heaven Knows"

I think there have been some two dozen posts on the same subject this year. Yust use the search feature or browse this forum.

I just need to know how to configure each of the computers so they can read eachothers shared files. I do not have a "hub" unless you consider the switch a hub. But I do not know how to set up each of the computers to read eachother.

*sigh*

Assuming both machines have internet access working..

You install the client for Microsoft Networking on both machines. Set both machines to belong to the same workgroup. Disable software firewall or enable MS networking in it.

thanks, that wasnt so hard, now was it? i just need to know how to disable the firewall, i believe xp comes with a 'personal firewall'? maybe thats what i need to disable

If u have all the other things working you shouldn't have to get rid of the built in firewall, Windows should allow the connection through. Then again, I've seen some of the things Windows should do, so here; you can disable the firewall under Control Panel, Network Connections, right click on your connection to the LAN, Properties, Advanced, Disable Networking (or something of the like).

Thank you. Should I (can I) intall a personal firewall, outside of microsoft? and if so, do you have any opinions?

I'd get a router with firewall built into it, but if you cannot afford to get a new router /w firewall, you should get software firewall [have have windows firewall turned off].

I'd use Norton Firewall or ZoneAlarm.

ZoneAlarm is a good software firewall for free. for a hardware firewall/router, pickup a wireless one, they are as cheap if not cheaper than an ethernet router. You can get the MR814 for $24 and change from Amazon by Netgear with 4 port router and 802.11b, you can turn off the wireless if you are only using it as an ethernet router. It is easier to share the wireless that way also.

In case you did not find the XP firewall is turned off by going to the properties of the ethernet connection, under advanced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back