How do I network two computers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a few different things you can try. Are you wanting to just hook them both up to each other, or allow them both to access the internet?

If you are just wanting to hook them up together you can simply use a crossover cable to hook them up directly to the Ethernet ports.

But if you want to allow them both to access the internet you need to get a router. There are plenty of articles in TechSpot describing them thoroughly. Have a look around.

network two computers

Thanks for your reply.
I have them both connected to the internet using a router. That part is working fine.
At my office, we are all networked together for file sharing. I know how to use it once in place, but don't know how to do the initial set up.

Ok, all you will have to do is right click in any folder you would like to share with each other and choose Sharing and Securities. Then click share this folder on the network. That should be all :) Then to access it from your daughters computer she will have to type in \\your_comp_name and it should bring up the folder you just shared.

Sometimes if you have client firewalls you may need to modify them to allow access for specifics hosts. Also, you may not get name resolution so you should try pinging the hostname of her computer and vice-versa. If you get a reply, then you should be good to do UNCs (\\machine_name\share_name).

No
HoopaJoop said:
You type this in the run dialog box:

click start then run
maybe that should be:

Click 'Start' then click 'Run'

When the 'Run' dialog box opens at the bottom left side of your screen type in the UNC (\\computername) to the remote machine.

Sorry if that was confusing. Does this help?

Hi everyone.

I have an old computer which stoped working. I believe I had a lot of spyware on it which slowed it down. Right now, when I start it up, nothing semm to be happing. U can't even tell if the monitor is lit or not. I took it to comp USA to back up my files but of the 100s of file I have I only found uneccesary files which I don't want. I am looking for 20 files which is in "my documents". How do I retrieve those files?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back