how do i open up ports 8000 - 8088 for programs

By SornyPanafonic
Mar 23, 2004
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hey, im on a school network up in albanyU and they have seemed to cap or close off certain ports used by bittorrent. no i was wondering if ALL ports are closed off if its used by that program or if its just that they closed off the ports they thought bittorrent would be using (which are 6881-6999). now i was told that if i switched bittorrent to 8000-8088 it would work, but im still seeing no or very slow results. on the old ports i get very very very slow speeds. is there anyway that i can open up these ports to bittorrent and maybe move other programs that might be using them? much thanks.
  2. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

You can go and beg your schools sysadmin to open those ports for you.
  3. SornyPanafonic

SornyPanafonic Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 159

ha, yeah i dont think theyre gonna open up 6881-6999 but is there a way to get better speeds out of 8000-8088 or other ports that they would throttle or cap. maybe 80? 80-90? these ports i dont think are being capped but i still get extremely slow speeds (like 14000 hours for a dl). i heard it might be cuz of a non-transperant proxy which to be honest i really dont know what it is. but ehh. any suggestions will be welcomed since ive tried nothing and im out of ideas. :haha: much thanks
  4. Rick

Rick TechSpot Staff Posts: 6,304   +52 Staff Member

University connections prioritize traffic. And unfortunately, P2P programs like Bittorrent are way on the bottom of the list.

Even though you are on a fast connection and even if you do manage to get the proper ports open, you will still have poor perofrmance (most likely).

Universities make sure that HTTP traffic is fast at all costs and couldn't care less about filesharing.
  5. SornyPanafonic

yah i know theyre bastards. but arent 80-90 and 8000-8088 used for like http, web connections and such. so i thought i should get good speeds from that no matter what program i use but no i still get nothing - and i thought it might be cuz either there are other background programs taking away from the speed or the proxy thing can detect what program is using it and making sure that it doesnt work. can a proxy do that? will desproxy work? oh so many questions. much thanks
  6. Nodsu

Nodsu Newcomer, in training Posts: 9,431

Firstly, you are confusing inbound and outbound ports. HTTP goes through outbound port 80 while filesharing programs use inbound ports.

Are you sure those ports you set in bittorrent are open? Don't know about BT but maybe it still works very slow without inbound ports being available like Kazaa and eMule do?

The traffic shaping doesn't have to be based on ports. If it is a transparent proxy then traffic priorities can turn out to be based on the actual content of the packets, not IP ports.
  7. SornyPanafonic

ehh i dont really know i was just told to try to use ports 80-90 or 8000-8088. still tho bittorrent doesnt work - these may be outbound ports - i dont know - but it remains that bittorrent is still not working so maybe it has something to do with the transparent proxy (no idea how that works) maybe it just needs inbound ports (again no clue) is there a way to create a super duper port where bittorrent reigns supreme over my isp and sucks up all the bandwidth making dls retardely fast?!! ...prolly not....ahh fiddle sticks
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.