How do I reformat to use Linux os

By lindylou2
Oct 15, 2007
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I have an old computer that I want to reformat and try to use Linux with.

I don't want to partition it, but I want to remove all the old files and junk completely and start afresh with Linux as my os. I have read the thread about installing Linux for the first time but this involves creating a partition for dual booting but I just want to try Linux.

I am downloading Ubuntu and going to burn it to cd, what should I do then, just reboot and put Unbuntu disc in or how do I just reformat my old computer first.

Thanks in advance Linda
  2. Po`Girl

Po`Girl Newcomer, in training Posts: 668

First, make sure you burn the .ISO file to CD as an ISO file and not as normal data.

Look in the File menu for ISO disc.

After you boot the Ubuntu CD,on about the 3rd menu,

you get the partition choice.Choose erase the whole disk.
  3. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,336   +293

MOST Linux installers will give you access to the HD parition table.

1. delete ALL partitions first
    2. create a swap parttion
    3. then create a Linux partition (the Journaled type ext3)
    Once all actions are confirmed, each partition will be correctly reformated.
  4. lindylou2

lindylou2 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 32

:wave:
    Thank you both for your help
    Linda
  5. PURESKILLZZZ

PURESKILLZZZ Newcomer, in training

Both people offered help but I would say for a newbie linux user if you haven't gotten it to work already download a live cd I suggest ubuntu. Once you burn the iso to a disk you can boot your machine directly into linux to see how it works. You can then click install on the desktop and it will run you thru a few screens of installing . 1 screen which is for partion and formatting just choose to use whole hard drive. Linux will do everything for you.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.