How do I reinstall an application which came with Windows XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

friend2u

I have a photo editor which I like called ArcSoft and recently I bought a new computer which also runs XP but didn't have ArcSoft as an app, so I copied the folder entitled ArcSoft over to my new computer. ArcSoft has a photo editor among other things in the ArcSoft folder..the editor is in a folder called Photo Editor
which contains an app startup icon and a dozen or so dll files.
If I click the app startup icon from within the folder the app will start but if I copy the icon to my desktop it tell me it cannot start without "macro.dll".......this dll file is in the Photo Editor folder along with the startup icon but somehow the app cannot find it from the desktop. A pop up comes up saying "cannot find macro.dll try reinstalling the application".. I do not have the application since it came with XP on my old computer! Is their some way I can configure this so it is registered with windows?
I notice if I right click a photo and click "open with" it gives various editors which I could use but dont want..if I use the browse button and click the startup icon for arcsoft "photo editor"
it does not start the editor but rather does nothing" Any suggestions?

the app came as part of a software bundle with your old PC, if it did not come with a CD to install it from, you'll need to purchase another copy.

Arcsoft is a package which comes with e.g. a Nikon 3100 Digital Camera. Check with your friends if they have anything like it.

For future reference in case you do come up on a problem where you need to re-install a Windows component. You will have to go to Control Panel, and Add/Remove Programs, then click on Add/Remove Windows components. :D

Originally posted by friend2u
If I click the app startup icon from within the folder the app will start but if I copy the icon to my desktop it tell me it cannot start without "macro.dll"

I think you're actually copying the .EXE file to the desktop. Create a shortcut pointing the .EXE file in the folder instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back