How do I reinstall OS?

Status
Not open for further replies.

joelbyjoker

i have a computer that i cant get into the passwords because it was a old work comp.. how do i reinstall the o/s to turn it into a home computer.

i have a computer that i cant get into the passwords because it was a old work comp.. how do i reinstall the o/s to turn it into a home computer.
Um, eyebrows always go up in response to a request like this. First, we don't offer assistance in removing passwords from BIOS, or Windows for that matter

Beyond that, the issue is somewhat murky. It depends if the computer was a branded unit or was built. If the machine was shipped with an OEM copy of Windows, that would be keyed to the BIOS via administrative pass word and you're SOL. Replace the motherboard, and buy a new copy of Windows.

If it's a Windows log on password. Wipe the hard drive and buy a copy of Windows.

In some cases there might be passwords in both places. Which is really a huge problem.

That's as much or more information as I am permitted to share.

I know we're not supposed to help circumvent passwords here, so I'm only going to tell you what a quick google search would:

If you need to re-task a computer, legally that is, not "hey I jacked this from work"... and it has a BIOS password, there's a simple solution to that:
Reset your BIOS with the CMOS jumper or take out the CMOS battery. If it's a laptop, you may have to do some tricky work and open it up. (Hopefully they have some other override, but sometimes manufacturers are dumb like that...)
If it's a windows password, it's easy, because you just insert your Windows install CD, reboot and hit any key to boot from CD when prompted to do so, and then you'll be able to just completely wipe the HDD and install a fresh, clean copy of Windows and you can set whatever passwords or lack there of you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back