How Do I Remove Visualization Plugins From Windows Media Player 11?

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I remove the .dll files from C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\Visualizations\ the visualization names remain in the visualizations menu, although they are not selectable. I guess I need to uninstall WMP 11 to remove these visualizations...

Unfortunately, it`s looking that way. You`d have thought uninstalling a visualisation would have been a simple matter, but apparently not. I`m sorry I can`t be of more help, but I`ve never used WMP11.

Regards Howard :)

If you are going to edit the registry you do so at your own risk.
Back up the keys you are going to delete.

I have successfully remove visualisations from the windows media player visualisations list on windows xp using the following instructions.

Go to

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/SOFTWARE/Microsoft/MediaPlayer/Objects/Effects

Here you will find keys relating to the visualisations, click on the key of the visualisation you want to remove then on the toolbar select File and then Export, give the file a name that identifies the visualisation and save it to a backup folder

Now open the key of the visualisation you want to remove and then open the properties key. Make a note of the classid number, the format looks something like this example

{0A767E66-4D5E-11d5-A8AF-00105AC582C2}

Select the key of the visualisation you want to remove again and press delete.

Now go to

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT/CLSID

and look for the key with the number you copied down

Select this key, on the toolbar select File and then Export.
Give the file a name that identifies the visualisation and save it to the backup folder

In this key are 2 subkeys, InprocServer32 and TypeLib, open the InprocServer32 key and check that the default data points to C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\Visualizations\name Of Visualisation.dll

Re-select the key with the long number and press delete Now when you open windows media player the visualisation has gone from its list

How to remove WMP Plugin

You can also try unregistering the DLL with regsvr32. For example:

regsvr32 -u "C:\Program Files\Windows Media Player\Visualizations\visualization-name.dll"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back